Retired Oct. 1, 2002.
Major General Larry K. Arnold is commander, 1st Air Force, Air Combat Command, and commander, Continental U.S. North American Aerospace Defense Command Region, Tyndall Air Force Base, Fla. The 1st Air Force is responsible for organizing, equipping and operating air defense forces for the commander in chief of binational NORAD. He is responsible for more than 10,000 people at 19 fighter alert sites and 50 radar sites to provide tactical warning, threat assessment and counterdrug forces for the North American continent.
The general received his commission in 1965 through Officer Training School. Following undergraduate pilot training, he was stationed at Da Nang Air Base, South Vietnam, where he flew 153 combat missions in the F-4C Phantom. In 1973 he separated from active duty and joined the 177th Fighter Interceptor Group of the New Jersey Air National Guard. In 1986 he was called to active duty as the ANG adviser to Air University. In 1988 he was assigned as commander of the 147th Fighter Interceptor Group of the Texas ANG. In 1992 the general was selected commander of the Air National Guard Readiness Center, Andrews Air Force Base, where he served until his reassignment in 1997 as vice commander of 1st Air Force. He is a command pilot with more than 4,040 flying hours in ten types of aircraft, most recently the F-15.
1964 Bachelor of arts degree in political science, Wake Forest University, Winston-SaIem, N.C.
1972 Squadron Officer School
1977 Master's degree in business administration, Auburn University, Auburn, Ala.
1977 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1984 Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1994 Senior Executives in National and International Security, John F. Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.
1. February 1965 - March 1966, student, undergraduate pilot raining, Moody Air Force Base, Ga.
2. March 1966 - December 1966, student, F-4C crew training, Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, Ariz., and MacDill Air Force Base, Fla.
3. December 1966 - September 1967, F-4C fighter pilot, 390th Fighter Squadron, Da Nang Air Base, South Vietnam
4. September 1967 - March 1968, student, F-102 combat crew training, Perrin Air Force Base, Texas
5. March 1968 - June 1968, student, F-106 training, Tyndall Air Force Base, Fla.
6. June 1968 - September 1972, F-106 instructor pilot, 48th Fighter Interceptor Squadron, Langley Air Force Base, Va.
7. September 1972 - August 1973, F-106 instructor pilot, 4756th Combat Crew Training Squadron, Tyndall Air Force Base, Fla.
8. August 1973 - August 1976, instructor pilot and training officer, 177th Fighter Interceptor Group, New Jersey Air National Guard, Atlantic City Airport, N.J.
9. August 1976 - June 1977, student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
10. June 1977 - August 1983, commander, 177th Consolidated Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, New Jersey Air National Guard, Atlantic City Airport, N.J.
11. August 1983 - June 1984, student, Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
12. June 1984 - January 1986, deputy commander for operations, 177th Fighter Interceptor Squadron, New Jersey Air National Guard, Atlantic City Airport, N.J.
13. January 1986 - January 1988, Air National Guard adviser to the commander, and faculty member, Air University, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
14. January 1988 - December 1989, commander, 147th Fighter Interceptor Group, Texas Air National Guard, Ellington Air Force Base. Texas
15. December 1989 - October 1991, assistant director, readiness support, Air National Guard Readiness Center, Andrews Air Force Base, Md.
16. October 1991 - September 1992, commander, Air National Guard Readiness Center, Andrews Air Force Base, Md.
17. September 1992 - January 1997, Air National Guard assistant for readiness to the director, Air National Guard, Andrews Air Force Base, Md.
18. January 1997 - December 1997, vice commander, 1st Air Force, Tyndall Air Force Base, Fla.
19. December 1997 - present, commander, 1st Air Force, Air Combat Command, and commander, Continental U.S. North American Aerospace Defense Command Region, Tyndall Air Force Base, Fla.
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: 4,040
Aircraft flown: T-33, T-37, T-38, F-102, F-106, F-4C/D, F-16 and F-15
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Distinguished Flying Cross with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Medal with 14 oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Army Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
Presidential Unit Citation
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with "V" device and oak leaf cluster
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award
Combat Readiness Medal with three oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal with service star
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Vietnam Service Medal with two service stars
Vietnam Armed Forces Honor Medal
Republic of Vietnam Gallantry Cross with Palm
Republic of Vietnam Civil Action Unit Citation
Republic of Vietnam Campaign Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Feb 10, 1965
First Lieutenant Aug 10, 1966
Captain May 21, 1968
Major Feb 19, 1976
Lieutenant Colonel Sep 10, 1980
Colonel Dec 28, 1985
Brigadier General Mar 11, 1993
Major General Mar 2, 1998