Retired July 1, 1997.
Major General Lee A. Downer is director of operations, Headquarters Air Combat Command, Langley Air Force Base, Va. He directs the operational planning, training and command and control functions needed to deploy and employ active and Air Force Reserve combat air forces, including more than 3,600 aircraft and 8,000 combat ready crews worldwide in support of United States security objectives.
The general entered the Air Force in 1964 as a graduate of the U.S. Air Force Academy. He is a command pilot with more than 3,500 hours in fighter aircraft. He flew 154 combat missions in Vietnam and commanded a composite wing in Turkey during Operation Desert Storm.
1964 Bachelor of science degree in military science, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1969 Squadron Officer School
1976 Master's degree in political science, Auburn University, Ala.
1976 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1985 Royal College of Defense Studies, London
1. June 1964 - August 1965, student, undergraduate pilot training, Moody Air Force Base, Ga.
2. August 1965 - February 1966, F-4 Combat Crew Training School, Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, Ariz.
3. February 1966 - November 1966, F-4C pilot, 92nd Tactical Fighter Squadron, Royal Air Force Station Bentwaters, England
4. November 1966 - July 1967, F-4C fighter pilot, 390th Tactical Fighter Squadron, 366th Tactical Fighter Wing, Da Nang Air Base, South Vietnam
5. August 1967 - February 1968, F-4D fighter pilot, 478th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Homestead Air Force Base, Fla.
6. February 1968 - December 1969, F-4E fighter pilot, 16th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Eglin Air Force Base, Fla.
7. December 1969 - July 1971, F-4C fighter pilot, 81st Tactical Fighter Squadron, Hahn Air Base, West Germany
8. July 1971 - December 1972, F-4C instructor pilot, 81st Tactical Fighter Squadron, Zweibrucken Air Base, West Germany
9. January 1973 - December 1973, F-4C flight commander, 81st Tactical Fighter Squadron, Spangdahlem Air Base, West Germany
10. January 1974 - May 1975, O-2 and OV-10 pilot, air liaison officer and squadron assistant operations officer, 19th Tactical Air Support Squadron, Osan Air Base, South Korea
11. May 1975 - July 1976, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
12. July 1976 - July 1980, staff officer, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, directorate of plans, tactical force development division, Air Staff, Washington, D.C.
13. July 1980 - October 1981, F-16 instructor pilot, 388th Tactical Fighter Wing, Hill Air Force Base, Utah
14. October 1981 - October 1983, commander, 421st Tactical Fighter Squadron, Hill Air Force Base, Utah
15. October 1983 - November 1984, special assistant to wing commander, Hill Air Force Base, Utah
16. December 1984 - January 1986, member, Royal College of Defense Studies, London
17. January 1986 - June 1987, director of operations and training, Headquarters U.S. Air Forces in Europe, Ramstein Air Base, West Germany
18. June 1987 - July 1988, vice commander, 50th Tactical Fighter Wing, Hahn Air Base, West Germany
19. July 1988 - February 1990, commander, 20th Tactical Fighter Wing, Royal Air Force Station Upper Heyford, England
20. February 1990 - July 1991, inspector general and deputy chief of staff for productivity, Headquarters U.S. Air Forces in Europe, Ramstein Air Base, Germany
21. January 1991 - March 1991, air component and 7440th Composite Wing commander, Joint Task Force PROVEN FORCE, Incirlik Air Base, Turkey
22. July 1991 - October 1992, deputy chief of staff for operations, Second Allied Tactical Air Force, Ramstein Air Base, Germany
23. October 1992 - July 1994, director of operations, Headquarters U.S. Air Forces in Europe; deputy chief of staff for operations, 2nd Allied Tactical Air Force, Ramstein Air Base, Germany
24. August 1994 - present, director of operations, Headquarters Air Combat Command, Langley Air Force Base, Va.
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: More than 3,500
Aircraft flown: O-2, OV-10, F-4C/D/E, F-16A/C and F-111 E/F
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Distinguished Service Medal
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit
Distinguished Flying Cross
Meritorious Service Medal
Air Medal with 12 oak leaf clusters
"The Composite Wing in Combat, "Airpower Journal" - - based on experiences as commander of the 7440th Composite Wing, the air component of Joint Task Force PROVEN FORCE, Incirlik Air Base, Turkey
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Jul 3, 1964
First Lieutenant Dec 3, 1965
Captain Dec 3, 1967
Major Aug 1, 1975
Lieutenant Colonel Aug 1, 1980
Colonel Oct 1, 1984
Brigadier General Oct 1, 1990
Major General Jul 1, 1993