Retired Aug. 1, 1965. Died Oct. 29, 1976.
Born in Morgan County, Ill., in 1910, Major General Lee W. Fulton completed his elementary and high school education in Illinois, Texas and Oklahoma. He attended liberal arts and science colleges at Oklahoma and Illinois universities.
Entering the service in 1927 as a private in the Oklahoma National Guard, he received his commission as a second lieutenant in 1930 based on competitive examination. In 1934, he reported to active duty and was assigned to the Civilian Conservation Corps, Jefferson Barracks, Mo. He then commanded various CCC companies in Illinois, Wisconsin, Washington and Idaho.
In 1940, he began his career with the Army Air Corps as a first lieutenant. In 1942, as a major, he was assigned to the Third Air Depot Group and went overseas with this unit. Stationed in the upper Assam Valley, northeast of Calcutta, India, he assumed command of the 51st Air Service Center, and was responsible for the maintenance and supply support of the airlift over the Himalayas, known as the "Hump" operations. His command supplied forward elements of the 10th and 14th Air Forces operating out of remote Burma and China air strips.
Assuming command of the 80th Air Depot, Karachi, India, in 1944, he controlled deprocessing and reassembly projects for aircraft arriving in the China-Burma-India theater of operations by water.
In 1944, he returned to the United States and was attached to the 24th Air Service Group and went to the Marianas with the 20th Air Force. General Fulton (then colonel) was chief of maintenance of the 315th Bomb Wing until the end of World War II.
Returning to the States, he commanded a specialized depot and then attended the first class of the Air Command and Staff College. Also graduated from the Industrial College of the Armed Forces (1949), he was assigned to various procurement and production duties at Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Air Materiel Command (assistant deputy director of procurement from July 1952 to August 1955), Air Research and Development Headquarters (director of procurement), Military Air Transport Service Headquarters (March 1960 as deputy chief of staff for materiel), and Air Force Logistics Command (July 1962 as director of procurement). In addition to service and campaign decorations, he has been awarded the Legion of Merit, Bronze Star and Commendation Medals.
Military and political history
OPINIONS, TASTES AND EVALUATIONS