Retired March 31, 1967. Died Nov. 1, 1974.
Lloyd P. Hopwood was born in 1907, in Honolulu, Territory of Hawaii. The son of John Lloyd Hopwood and Mabel Barlow Hopwood, he graduated in 1925 from Punahou Academy, Honolulu, Hawaii. In 1929, he graduated with a bachelor of arts degree from Oberlin College, Oberlin, Ohio.
He accepted an appointment as a flying cadet in the Army Air Corps in February 1932, and took his initial flying training at Randolph Field, Texas. Upon graduation in February 1933, from the Advanced Flying School, Pursuit Flying Course, Kelly Field, Texas, he received pilot's wings and was commissioned a second lieutenant, U.S. Army Air Corps Reserve.
His first assignment was to the 95th Pursuit Squadron, March Field, Calif. In September 1933, he was transferred to the 18th Pursuit Group, Wheeler Field, Hawaii, where he was assigned duties as a pursuit pilot. He returned to the Mainland in March 1934, to fly the mail between Oakland, Calif., and Seattle, Wash., and was subsequently assigned to the Las Vegas, Nev., airfield where he was assistant control officer. In May 1934, he was released from active duty.
Recalled in July 1934, he was assigned as pursuit pilot in the 73rd Pursuit Squadron, 17th Pursuit Group, March Field, Calif. In November 1934, he again was released from active duty and he returned to Honolulu where he utilized his Air Corps training as pilot for Inter-Island Airways.
In March 1936, Lieutenant Hopwood was recalled to active duty and assigned to the 18th Pursuit Group, Wheeler Field, Hawaii, where in addition to his pilot's duties he was the squadron engineering officer and operations officer for the 18th Pursuit Group. He accepted an appointment as a second lieutenant in the Regular Army in October 1936.
He was transferred to Army Air Corps Training Center, Randolph Field, Texas, in March 1938, as a pilot instructor. In August 1939, he was assigned as the assistant supervisor of the Army Air Corps Training Detachment, Ryan School of Aeronautics, San Diego, Calif. In August 1940, he was assigned as the first commander of the 5th Army Air Force Flying Training Detachment at Hemet, Calif.
In June 1941, Captain Hopwood assumed duties as personnel officer for the West Coast Air Training Command, Moffett Field, Calif. He was promoted to the rank of major in December 1941, and was assigned as liaison officer to the Western Defense Command, San Francisco, Calif., to coordinate flying training activities with the Western Defense mission. In May 1942, he was promoted to the rank of lieutenant colonel and moved from Moffett Field, Calif., to Santa Ana, Calif., as assistant deputy chief of staff for personnel, Western Flying Training Command.
In 1943, Lieutenant Colonel Hopwood was assigned to Headquarters Army Air Forces, Washington, D.C., where between the period January 1943, to June 1945, he functioned as the chief of Aviation Cadet Branch, chief of Foreign Assignment Branch, deputy chief and chief of Military Personnel Division, and was also appointed a member of the General Staff Corps of the War Department, U.S. Army.
During the move of the 8th Air Force from the European Theater to the Pacific Theater, Colonel Hopwood was the commander of the Rear Echelon of the 8th Air Force, Colorado Springs, Colo. From September 1945, to July 1946, he was assigned to the 8th Air Force, Okinawa, as assistant chief of staff for personnel, assistant chief of staff for plans, and the chief of staff, 8th Air Force. He returned to the United States in August 1946, and was assigned to Headquarters, Air University, Maxwell Field, Ala., as chief of the Civilian Institutions Group, and subsequently was appointed a member of the Faculty Board at the Air University.
Upon graduation in August 1949, from the Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, he was assigned to the Pentagon as deputy director of personnel planning, Headquarters, U.S. Air Force. During his tour, he assisted in the initial planning phases for the establishment of an Air Force Academy. He was promoted to the rank of brigadier general during this period.
During the period July 1953, to June 1958, he returned to Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala., where he was commandant of the Air Command and Staff College. For his outstanding work in the field of military and civilian education, St. Josephs College, Philadelphia, Pa., conferred upon him the honorary degree of doctor of letters. While at Maxwell Air Force Base, he was promoted to the rank of major general.
In July 1958, he was assigned to Headquarters U.S. Air Force, as director of personnel procurement and training. In August 1960, he assumed command of Chanute Technical Training Center, Chanute Air Force Base, Ill.
General Hopwood assumed command of Amarillo Technical Training Center, Amarillo Air Force Base, Texas, in July 1964.
General Hopwood is a charter member of the Air Force Association, a member of the Order of Dadaelians, the Air Force Academy Athletic Association and Rotary International.