Retired Sep. 1, 1975. Died Jan. 22, 2001.
Major General Louis O. Alder is deputy chief of staff, data automation (Assistant for Advanced Logistics Systems), Air Force Logistics Command, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio.
General Alder was born in Preston, Idaho, in 1922. He graduated from North Gem High School, Bancroft, Idaho, in 1940. He attended Boise Junior College and the University of Colorado; graduated from the University of Maryland in 1959 with a bachelor of military science degree and from The George Washington University in 1961 with a master's degree in business administration. He completed the Advanced Management Program at Harvard Business School in 1969 and is a 1965 graduate of the Industrial College of the Armed Forces.
General Alder enlisted in the U.S. Army Air Forces in October 1942 and served in New Guinea as airplane armorer in the 38th Bombardment Group. He completed Officer Candidate School in Brisbane, Australia, and was commissioned a second lieutenant in September 1944. He then was a squadron armament officer in the 3d Bombardment Group, serving in the Philippines and on Okinawa.
After World War II, he served with Air Training Command for eight years. From January 1946 until August 1947 he was at Lowry Field, Colo., as an instructor and later was senior instructor, Aircraft Armament Branch. In August 1947 he was transferred to Chanute Field, Ill., as armament instructor; then was officer in charge of Polar Training Unit; and lastly, was assistant design and development officer. He was reassigned to Lowry Field in October 1948 as officer in charge of the Armament Fundamentals Branch. He then attended Air Tactical School at Tyndall Air Force Base, Fla. In April 1950 he became assistant chief for the Photo-Armament-Intelligence Division, Air Training Command, at Scott Air Force Base, Ill. From July 1951 to December 1953 he served at Headquarters Technical Training Air Force at Gulfport, Miss., as assistant chief for the Armament-Photo-Weapons Division, Deputy Chief of Staff, Operations, and later was program monitor, Director Technical Training.
In December 1953 he became exchange officer with the Directorate of Armament at Headquarters Royal Australian Air Force. He was the armament project officer for acquisition of the Australian Sabrejet. In March 1956 he was assigned to Headquarters U.S. Air Force in the Pentagon as a staff officer in the Weapons Systems Branch, Technical Training Division in the Directorate of Personnel Procurement and Training. In 1959 he earned a bachelor of military science degree from the University of Maryland.
He graduated from The George Washington University in July 1961 with a master's degree in business administration and was assigned for three years to the Contract Management Office at the Ballistic Systems Division, Norton Air Force Base, Calif. He graduated from the Industrial College of the Armed Forces in June 1965 and was reassigned to Headquarters U.S. Air Force as chief of Development Support Division, Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff for Research and Development.
In September 1966 General Alder was transferred to Headquarters Air Force Systems Command, Andrews Air Force Base, Md., and served as director of procurement operations and then as assistant deputy chief of staff, procurement and production. He completed the Advanced Management Program at Harvard Business School in 1969. He then returned to Headquarters AFSC at Andrews Air Force Base and, in November 1970, became deputy chief of staff, comptroller.
General Alder was assigned to Headquarters Air Force Logistics Command, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio, in May 1974, and served as deputy chief of staff, comptroller, until his reassignment as deputy chief of staff for data automation upon formation of the deputate in November 1974.
His military decorations and awards include the Distinguished Service Medal, Air Force Commendation Medal, Presidential Unit Citation Emblem, and the Good Conduct Medal.
He was promoted to the grade of major general effective April 24, 1974, with date of rank July 1, 1971.