Selected for reassignment as Director, Information, Services and Integration, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, Washington, D.C.
Maj. Gen. Michael W. Peterson is Director, Air Forces Strategic Command/Air Component Coordination Element, U.S. Strategic Command, Offutt Air Force Base, Neb.
General Peterson entered the Air Force in 1974 as a distinguished graduate of the University of Southern Mississippi ROTC program. He directed Air Force communications supporting the air war over Serbia and no-fly zone operations over southern Iraq. He has served on the Joint Staff in a space operations advisory capacity, and he was assigned to two major commands as Director of Communications and Information Systems. General Peterson has commanded at the squadron, group and wing levels, including the 81st Training Wing at Keesler AFB, Miss.
1974 Bachelor of Science degree in mathematics, University of Southern Mississippi
1983 Master's degree in telecommunications management, University of Southern Mississippi
1992 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. June 1974 - December 1974, student, Basic Communications-Electronics Maintenance Officer Course, Keesler AFB, Miss.
2. December 1974 - January 1978, maintenance officer, 1st Aerospace Communications Group, Offutt AFB, Neb.
3. February 1978 - December 1979, Chief of Maintenance, 2020th Communications Squadron, Shaw AFB, S.C.
4. January 1980 - December 1980, Commander, Detachment 179, U.S. Logistics Group, Malatya, Turkey
5. January 1981 - November 1981, student, Air Force Institute of Technology program, and student, Telecommunications Systems Staff Officer Course, Keesler AFB, Miss.
6. November 1981 - December 1984, communications-electronics career management staff officer, Air Force Military Personnel Center, Randolph AFB, Texas
7. January 1985 - January 1988, Commander, 2037th Communications Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
8. February 1988 - July 1991, staff officer, C3 Systems Directorate, the Joint Staff, Washington, D.C.
9. August 1991 - June 1992, student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
10. June 1992 - July 1992, student, undergraduate space training, Lowry AFB, Colo.
11. August 1992 - June 1993, Commander, 1st Space Surveillance Squadron, Verona, N.Y.
12. June 1993 - May 1995, Commander, 73rd Space Group, Falcon AFB, Colo.
13. June 1995 - December 1996, Chief, Communications and Information Systems, Headquarters 9th Air Force and U.S. Central Command Air Forces, and Commander, 609th Air Communications Squadron, Shaw AFB, S.C. (October 1995 - February 1996, Chief, Communications and Information Systems, J-6, Joint Task Force Southwest Asia, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia)
14. December 1996 - June 2000, Director of Communications and Information Systems, Headquarters U.S. Air Forces in Europe, Ramstein Air Base, Germany
15. June 2000 - May 2002, Director of Communications and Information Systems, Headquarters Air Combat Command, Langley AFB, Va.
16. May 2002 - April 2004, Commander, 81st Training Wing, Keesler AFB, Miss.
17. April 2004 - January 2005, Deputy Commander for Global Strike and Air Component Coordination Element Director, Strategic Air Forces, ACC, Offutt AFB, Neb.
18. January 2005 - March 2005, Commander, Joint Functional Component Command for Space and Global Strike, U.S. Strategic Command, Offutt AFB, Neb.
19. March 2005 - present, Director, Air Forces Strategic Command/Air Component Coordination Element, USSTRATCOM, Offutt AFB, Neb.
Master Communications and Information Badge
Senior Space Operations Badge
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit with two oak leaf clusters
Bronze Star Medal
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 22, 1974
First Lieutenant June 7, 1976
Captain June 7, 1978
Major Nov. 1, 1985
Lieutenant Colonel June 1, 1989
Colonel Feb. 1, 1994
Brigadier General Oct. 1, 2000
Major General July 1, 2004