Retired Sep. 1, 1962. Died Feb. 13, 1993.
Millard Lewis was born in Washington, D.C., in 1906. He graduated from the U.S. Military Academy June 12, 1930 and was commissioned a second lieutenant of Field Artillery. That fall he began pilot training and in October 1931 graduated from flying school and transferred to the Air Corps.
The following 12 years he served in various tactical organizations at a number of air bases in the United States, at Albrook Field in the Canal Zone, and graduated from the Air Corps Tactical School at Montgomery, Ala.
In January 1941 General Lewis organized and assumed command of the 15th Reconnaissance Squadron at Langley Field, Va. Four months after Pearl Harbor he assumed command of the 38th Bomb Group at Wright-Patterson Field, Ohio. Moving to Barksdale Field, La., in June 1942, the general became commander of the l7th Bomb Group, and that August organized and assumed command of the 335th Bomb Group.
Ordered to England in February 1944, General Lewis was named assistant chief of staff for supply of the Third Bomb Wing, and that July was named executive officer of the wing. He became chief of staff of the Ninth Bomber Command there that October and in January 1944 assumed command of the 98th Combat Wing, which he commanded during the invasion of the continent. In August General Lewis was designated deputy director of Post Hostilities Planning for the U.S. Strategic Air Forces in Europe, with Headquarters in London, England.
Returning to the States in February 1945, General Lewis was a staff officer in the Operations Division of the War Department General Staff in Washington, D.C. From August 1945 until August 1948 he served as executive to the assistant chief of air staff intelligence and additionally as chief of the Air Intelligence Policy Division. Entering the National War College there in August 1948, he graduated from the International Affairs Course the following January.
Joining the U.S. Air Forces in Europe at Wiesbaden, Germany in January of 1949, General Lewis served as Director of Intelligence for three and a half years. He became Director of Intelligence of the newly-established joint U.S. European Command there in August 1952.
Ordered to Air Force Headquarters in 1953, General Lewis was appointed deputy director of intelligence in the Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff for Operations, becoming the director of intelligence on June 1, 1956, remaining in this capacity when the office was redesignated Assistant Chief of Staff, Intelligence on July 1, 1957.
His decorations include the Legion of Merit, Distinguished Flying Cross, Bronze Star Medal and Air Medal with two oak leaf clusters. He is a command pilot and aircraft observer.