Retired March 1, 1996.
Major General Nolan Sklute is the judge advocate general of the U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C. He serves as the senior uniformed Air Force attorney responsible for the furnishing of legal advice, opinions and assistance on a wide variety of subjects to the chief of staff, Air Staff and Air Force commanders and agencies worldwide. He oversees the provision of legal services by 1,375 Air Force judge advocates, 245 civilian attorneys, 820 enlisted paralegals and 720 other civilian employees.
The general received his commission through the Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps in 1962 and entered active duty in the Air Force in 1966 after completing law school. He has served as staff judge advocate of Air Force Logistics Command and two base-level legal offices. In addition, he has served in a variety of key positions during three different tours in Washington, D.C.
1962 Bachelor of arts degree, Union College, N.Y.
1965 Law degree, Cornell University School of Law, N.Y.
1972 Master of laws degree in government contracts, National Law Center, George Washington University, Washington, D.C.
1975 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1977 Armed Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
1983 National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
1. January 1966 - January 1969, assistant staff judge advocate, 4510th Combat Support Group, Luke Air Force Base, Ariz.
2. January 1969 - September 1971, assistant staff judge advocate, 7206th Support Group, Athenai Airport, Greece.
3. September 1971 - July 1972, student, National Law Center, George Washington University, Washington, D.C.
4. July 1972 - July 1976, member and chief, General Litigation Branch, Litigation Division, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
5. July 1976 - January 1977, student, Armed Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
6. January 1977 - July 1979, staff judge advocate, 22nd Combat Support Group, March Air Force Base, Calif.
7. July 1979 - August 1982, staff judge advocate, 36th Tactical Fighter Wing, Bitburg Air Base, West Germany.
8. August 1982 - June 1983, student, National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
9. June 1983 - June 1984, deputy chief, Claims and Tort Litigation Division, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
10. June 1984 - February 1987, executive to the judge advocate general, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
11. February 1987 - July 1988, director of civil law, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
12. August 1988 - May 1991, staff judge advocate, Air Force Logistics Command, and commander, Air Force Contract Law Center, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio.
13. May 1991 - August 1993, deputy judge advocate general, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
14. August 1993 - present, judge advocate general, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Distinguished Service Medal
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
U.S. Supreme Court
U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York
New York State Courts
U.S. Court of Military Appeals
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
First Lieutenant Jan 15, 1966
Captain Feb 9, 1967
Major Feb 12, 1973
Lieutenant Colonel Jun 1, 1979
Colonel Nov 1, 1983
Brigadier General Aug 1, 1988
Major General Aug 6, 1993