Retiring effective Nov. 1, 2005.
Maj. Gen. Paul J. Lebras is Deputy Commander for Information Operations, 8th Air Force, Barksdale Air Force Base, La., and Commander, Air Intelligence Agency and Joint Information Operations Center, Lackland AFB, Texas. As Deputy Commander for Information Operations, General Lebras is the Air Forces cryptologic specialist and exercises complete authority over cryptologic activities of the 67th Information Operations Wing with headquarters at Lackland AFB, and the 70th Intelligence Wing, with headquarters at Fort George G. Meade, Md. AIA is a primary subordinate unit of Air Combat Command. Its mission is to gain, exploit, defend and attack information, and information systems to ensure superiority in the air, space and information domains. The agency delivers flexible collection, tailored air and space intelligence, weapons monitoring, and information warfare products and services to operational commanders, the Joint Staff and Department of Defense agencies. Subordinate to U.S. Space Command, the JIOCs mission is coordinating and executing information operations. It deploys planning teams worldwide at a moments notice to deliver tailored, highly skilled support, and sophisticated models and simulations to joint commanders, the joint task forces and the Joint Staff.
General Lebras was commissioned and entered the Air Force in 1971. He has served as a targets and intelligence analyst, operational intelligence officer, staff officer, squadron commander, and as Director of Intelligence at two major commands. General Lebras previous assignment was in Washington, D.C., where he held the position of Vice Director for Intelligence for the Joint Staff and for the Defense Intelligence Agency.
1971 Bachelor of Arts degree in education, Manhattan College, New York, N.Y.
1979 Master of Arts degree in African area studies, University of California at Los Angeles
1984 Army Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
1990 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. October 1971 - March 1972, student, air intelligence officer course, Lowry AFB, Colo.
2. April 1972 - December 1972, targets analyst, Nakhon Phanom Royal Thai Air Force Base, Thailand
3. December 1972 - April 1973, operational intelligence officer, 8th Tactical Fighter Wing, Ubon Royal Thai AFB, Thailand
4. May 1973 - April 1977, staff officer, Headquarters Pacific Air Forces, Hickam AFB, Hawaii
5. May 1977 - July 1978, Air Staff Training Program officer, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
6. August 1978 - December 1979, graduate student, Air Force Institute of Technology, University of California at Los Angeles
7. January 1980 - June 1983, analyst, Defense Intelligence Agency, Washington, D.C.
8. June 1983 - June 1984, student, U.S. Army Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
9. July 1984 - April 1987, action officer, later, Chief, Middle East and Africa Branch, Regional Estimates Division, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
10. April 1987 - July 1989, Director, White House Situation Room, Washington, D.C.
11. August 1989 - June 1990, student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
12. July 1990 - August 1991, Commander, 12th Tactical Intelligence Squadron, Bergstrom AFB, Texas
13. August 1991 - April 1994, Director of Intelligence, Headquarters 5th Air Force, Yokota Air Base, Japan
14. April 1994 - July 1996, Director of Intelligence, Headquarters Pacific Air Forces, Hickam AFB, Hawaii
15. July 1996 - November 1997, Director of Intelligence, Headquarters Air Combat Command, Langley AFB, Va.
16. November 1997 - June 1998, Associate Director of Operations for Command and Control, Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance, Directorate of Air and Space Operations, Headquarters Air Combat Command, Langley AFB, Va.
17. June 1998 - October 1999, Vice Commander, Air Intelligence Agency, Kelly AFB, Texas
18. October 1999 - December 2001, Vice Director for Intelligence, the Joint Staff, and Vice Director for Intelligence, Defense Intelligence Agency, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
19. February 2002 - present, Deputy Commander for Information Operations, 8th Air Force, Barksdale AFB, La.; and Commander, Air Intelligence Agency and Joint Information Operations Center, Lackland AFB, Texas
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Presidential Service Badge
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 23, 1971
First Lieutenant April 20, 1973
Captain Oct. 20, 1975
Major Aug. 1, 1983
Lieutenant Colonel April 1, 1988
Colonel Jan. 1, 1992
Brigadier General Oct. 1, 1998
Major General Sept. 1, 2002