Retired June 1, 1996. Died May 21, 2003.
Major General Philip W. Nuber is director of the Defense Mapping Agency, with headquarters at Fairfax, Va. A major combat support agency of the Department of Defense, the Defense Mapping Agency provides support on matters concerning global geospatial information and services to the Office of the Secretary of Defense; the military departments; the chairman, Joint Chiefs of Staff and Joint Staff; the unified commands; and the defense agencies and other federal government departments and agencies.
The general was born in Bozeman, Mont. He entered the Air Force through the Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps program in March 1962, and earned pilot wings at Williams Air Force Base, Ariz., in June 1963. He has more than 4,200 flying hours and is a veteran of 300 combat missions. He has commanded at squadron, group and wing levels and served as deputy director for operations, Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff, Plans and Operations, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.; deputy commander, Joint Task Force, Middle East, aboard the USS LaSalle; and assistant deputy under secretary of the Air Force, international affairs, Air Force Secretariat, Washington, D.C.
1962 Bachelor of science degree in electrical engineering, Montana State University
1969 Squadron Officer School
1975 Air Command and Staff College
1976 Industrial College of the Armed Forces
1987 Management Program for Executives, University of Pittsburgh
1991 National and International Security Management Course, Harvard University
1. May 1962 - August 1963, student officer, undergraduate pilot training, 3526th Student Squadron, ATC, Williams Air Force Base, Ariz.
2. August 1963 - May 1964, student, U.S. Air Force operational training crews, F-100, 4527th Combat Crew Training Squadron, Tactical Air Command, Luke Air Force Base, Ariz.
3. May 1964 - December 1966, pilot, F-100, 10th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Headquarters U.S. Air Forces in Europe, Hahn Air Base, West Germany
4. March 1967 - July 1967, forward air controller, F-100, 19th Tactical Air Support Squadron, Pacific Air Forces, Cu Chi, South Vietnam
5. July 1967 - March 1968, pilot tactical fighter, F-100, 510th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Pacific Air Forces, Bien Hoa Air Base, South Vietnam
6. March 1968 - March 1970, instructor pilot, F-5A/B, 425th Tactical Fighter Training Squadron, Tactical Air Command, Williams Air Force Base, Ariz.
7. March 1970 - July 1971, forward air controller, 71st Tactical Air Support Group, Tactical Air Command, Fort Hood, Texas
8. July 1971 - April 1972, brigade air liaison officer, 702nd Tactical Air Support Squadron, Tactical Air Command, Fort Hood, Texas
9. April 1972 - August 1972, aircraft commander, A-7D, 357th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Tactical Air Command, Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, Ariz.
10. September 1972 - March 1973, chief of safety, 333rd Tactical Fighter Training Squadron, Tactical Air Command, Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, Ariz.
11. March 1973 - September 1974, flight commander, A-7D, 333rd Tactical Fighter Training Squadron, Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, Ariz.
12. September 1974 - September 1975, flight commander, A-7D, 510th Tactical Fighter Training Squadron, Korat Royal Thai Air Force Base, Thailand
13. October 1975 - July 1976, assistant operations officer, 358th Tactical Fighter Training Squadron, Tactical Air Command, Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, Ariz.
14. August 1976 - May 1977, chief, standardization and evaluation, 355th Tactical Fighter Wing, Tactical Air Command, Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, Ariz.
15. May 1977 - August 1978, operations officer, A-7D, 354th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Tactical Air Command, Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, Ariz.
16. August 1978 - December 1980, chief, Officer Assignments Division, Headquarters Tactical Air Command, Langley Air Force Base, Va.
17. December 1980 - July 1982, commander, 425th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Tactical Air Command, Williams Air Force Base, Ariz.
18. July 1982 - September 1982, assistant deputy commander for operations, 405th Tactical Training Wing, Luke Air Force Base, Ariz.
19. September 1982 - September 1984, deputy commander, then commander, 833rd Combat Support Group, Tactical Air Command, Holloman Air Force Base, N.M.
20. September 1984 - July 1988, vice commander, then commander, 343rd Tactical Fighter Wing, AAC, Eielson Air Force Base, Alaska
21. July 1988 - January 1989, deputy commander, Air Force Combat Operations Staff, deputy director, operations, directorate for plans and operations, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.; deputy director, Office of Military Support, Headquarters U.S. Army, Washington, D.C.
22. January 1989 - July 1989, temporary duty, deputy commander, Joint Task Force Middle East, United States Central Command, Middle East
23. July 1989 - September 1992, assistant deputy under secretary of the Air Force (international affairs); the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
24. September 1992 - December 1994, chief, Joint U.S. Military Mission for Aid to Turkey, Ankara, Turkey
25. December 1994 - present, director, Defense Mapping Agency, Fairfax, Va.
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: 4,200
Aircraft flown: F-100, O-1, O-2, OV-10, T-33, A-7, F-5 and A-10
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Distinguished Service Medal
Distinguished Service Medal
Legion of Merit
Distinguished Flying Cross with bronze oak leaf cluster
Bronze Star Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three bronze oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with three silver oak leaf clusters and one bronze oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with two bronze oak leaf clusters
Army Commendation Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Mar 17, 1962
First Lieutenant Nov 28, 1963
Captain Nov 28, 1966
Major Apr 1, 1973
Lieutenant Colonel Sep 1, 1978
Colonel Feb 1, 1983
Brigadier General Nov 1, 1988
Major General Jul 2, 1992