Retired July 31, 1956.
Raymond Coleman Maude was born in Farmingham, Mass., in 1902. Graduating from the U.S. Military Academy on June 12, 1926, he was commissioned a second lieutenant in the Signal Corps.
A year later he received his master of science degree from Yale University and assumed command of the 17th Signal Service Company at Washington, D.C.
Becoming signal officer at Fort Logan, Colo., in March 1928, in August 1929 General Maude was assigned to the First Signal Troops of the First Cavalry Division, Fort Bliss, Texas, with which he served for six years. Entering the Signal Corps School at Fort Monmouth, N.J., upon graduation in June 1936 he remained at the school as an instructor.
Going to the Command and General Staff School at Fort Leavenworth, Kan., in August 1937, the general graduated in June 1938 and a month later assumed command of the Ninth Signal Service Company in Hawaii. Returning to the United States in August 1940 to become commander of the Second Aircraft Warning Company at Mitchel Field, N.Y., the following April he was assigned to the Office of the Chief Signal Officer as chief of the Aircraft Warning Division.
Moving overseas in December 1943, General Maude was appointed communications officer of the Ninth Bomber Command in Europe, and in September 1944 became director of communications for the 29th Tactical Air Command. In August 1945 he was named communications officer of the U.S. Air Forces in Europe, serving until February 1947. A month later the general became chief of staff of the Airways and Air Communications Service at Washington, D. C. and on April 2, 1947 transferred from the Signal Corps to the Air Force. Entering the National War College at Washington, D.C. in August 1948, upon graduation in June 1949 General Maude became communications officer of Continental Air Command at Mitchel Air Force Base, N.Y.
Named assistant director of requirements in the Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff for Operations, Air Force headquarters, Washington, D.C., in September 1949, he retained this position when the directorate of requirements was transferred to the Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff for Development the following January. In June 1950 General Maude was designated assistant for development programming in the Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff for Development. Assuming command of the 1009th Special Weapons Squadron at Bolling Air Force Base, Washington, D.C. in January 1951, the general returned to Air Force headquarters that September to become director of communications in the Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff for Operations.
Appointed deputy commander of the Air Force Research Center at Cambridge, Mass., in February 1953, the following month he assumed command of the center and remained in this position until his retirement from active duty on July 31, 1956.
His decorations include the Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster, Distinguished Service Medal and the Bronze Star.
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
He was promoted to first lieutenant (permanent) Oct. 1, 1931; to captain (permanent) June 12, 1936; to major (temporary) Jan. 31, 1941; to lieutenant colonel (temporary) Feb. 1, 1942; to colonel (temporary) March 1, 1942; to major (permanent) June 12, 1943; to colonel (permanent) April 2, 1948; to brigadier general (temporary) Sept. 7, 1949; to brigadier general (permanent) Aug. 11, 1950; to major general (temporary) July 28, 1951.