Retired July 1, 1996.
Major General Robert W. Parker is commander of 20th Air Force (Air Force Space Command), Francis E. Warren Air Force Base, Wyo., and is dual-hatted as the ICBM Task Force commander for U.S. Strategic Command. He is responsible for the nation's ICBM force, including two operational missile wings and two missile groups with more than 11,000 assigned personnel.
The general received his commission as a distinguished graduate of the St. Michael's College Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps program in 1963. He has served in various missile positions, including combat missile crew commander, airborne launch control system crew member, instructor, nuclear weapons plans officer and commander of two strategic missile wings. He has also held key Department of Defense positions as senior military adviser to the U.S. Arms Control and Disarmament Agency; director, U.S. Government On-Site Inspection Agency; and deputy of operations, Air Force Space Command. A member of the first combat ready certified airborne launch control system crew, he has more than 800 flying hours. Eight years of missile combat crew experience earned him a command missileer rating.
1963 Bachelor degree in business administration, St. Michael's College, Winooski, Vt.
1967 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1968 Master's degree in business administration, Ohio State University, Columbus
1974 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
1975 Industrial College of the Armed Forces, by correspondence
1981 Distinguished graduate, Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1986 Senior Executive Program, Kellogg School of Management, Northwestern University, Evanston, III.
1991 Senior Executive Program in National and International Security, John F. Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.
1. July 1963 - September 1963, executive officer, 741st Strategic Missile Squadron, Minot Air Force Base, N.D.
2. September 1963 - March 1964, student, missile combat crew training, Vandenberg Air Force Base, Calif.
3. March 1964 - July 1967, Minuteman missile combat crew member; instructor and evaluator, 68th Strategic Missile Squadron, Ellsworth Air Force Base, S.D.
4. July 1967 - January 1969, evaluator, airborne launch control system missile crew, 44th Strategic Missile Wing, Ellsworth Air Force Base, S.D.
5. January 1969 - August 1970, airborne launch control system instructor, 4315th Combat Crew Training Squadron, Vandenberg Air Force Base, Calif.
6. August 1970 - February 1972, chief, airborne launch control system, operational readiness training, 4th Airborne Command Control Squadron, Ellsworth Air Force Base, S.D.
7. February 1972 - June 1974, missile operations staff officer, deputy chief of staff for operations, Headquarters Strategic Air Command, Offutt Air Force Base, Neb.
8. July 1974 - June 1975, executive officer, director of command and control, deputy chief of staff for operations, Headquarters Strategic Air Command, Offutt Air Force Base, Neb.
9. June 1975 - June 1976, executive officer, deputy chief of staff for operations, Headquarters Strategic Air Command, Offutt Air Force Base, Neb.
10. June 1976 - January 1979, nuclear weapons plans officer, directorate of plans, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
11. January 1979 - June 1979, special assistant to the deputy director for forces, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
12. June 1979 - July 1980, executive officer, directorate of plans, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
13. August 1980 - May 1981, student, Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
14. June 1981 - January 1984, assistant deputy commander for operations and deputy commander for operations, 321st Strategic Missile Wing, Grand Forks Air Force Base, N.D.
15. January 1984 - August 1984, vice commander, 341st Strategic Missile Wing, Malmstrom Air Force Base, Mont.
16. August 1984 - November 1985, commander, 341st Strategic Missile Wing, Malmstrom Air Force Base, Mont.
17. November 1985 - June 1987, commander, 321st Strategic Missile Wing, Grand Forks Air Force Base, N.D.
18. June 1987 - June 1988, Air Force member, Chairman's Staff Group, Office of the Chairman, Joint Chiefs of Staff, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
19. June 1988 - January 1991, senior military adviser to the director, U.S. Arms Control and Disarmament Agency, Washington, D.C.
20. January 1991 - August 1993, director, U.S. Government On-Site Inspection Agency, Chantilly, Va.
21. August 1993 - June 1994, director of operations, Headquarters Air Force Space Command, Peterson Air Force Base, Colo.
22. June 1994 - present, commander, 20th Air Force, Francis E. Warren Air Force Base, Wyo.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Distinguished Service Medal
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award
Combat Readiness Medal
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Jun 3, 1963
First Lieutenant Jan 5, 1965
Captain Mar 16, 1967
Major May 1, 1974
Lieutenant Colonel Apr 1, 1978
Colonel Aug 1, 1982
Brigadier General Sep 1, 1988
Major General Mar 1, 1991
MISSLE AND SPACE INFORMATION
Flight rating: Senior officer aircrew member
Flight hours: More than 800
Missile rating: Command missileer