Retired June 1, 1977. Died Aug. 30, 1983.
Major General Rollin Bascom Moore Jr., is commander, Air Force Reserve, with headquarters at Robins Air Force Base, Ga., which is responsible for guiding and training Air Force Reserve personnel.
General Moore was born in Chico, Calif., in 1917, son of Rollin B. Moore and Mildred Knox Moore, and moved to Berkeley, Calif., in 1922. He attended Berkeley High School and the University of California, majoring in mechanical engineering.
He entered aviation cadet training in December 1939, graduated in August 1940, with a commission as second lieutenant in the U.S. Army Air Corps. He was retained as a flying instructor in the Advanced Single Engine Flying School at Kelly Field, San Antonio, Texas, until December 1940 when he was transferred to Stockton Army Air Field, Calif., as a member of the cadre opening an Advanced Single Engine Flying School.
He served at Stockton Army Air Field until September 1943 in successive positions of instructor, group commander, and director of flying training. In September 1943 he was transferred to the Douglas Army Air Field, Ariz., as director of operations and training, and subsequently transferred to Pecos Army Air Field, Texas, where he served initially as director of operations and training and then as base commander.
Released from extended active duty in March 1946, he served as a Reserve member of the XXII Depot Group, McClellan Air Force Base, Calif. He joined the California Air National Guard in June 1948 and served until 1950 as commander of the 244th Air Service Group, 31st Fighter Wing, Alameda, Calif.
In 1950 General Moore was appointed executive officer of the 61st Fighter Wing and two years later became wing commander. In 1955 the 61st Fighter Wing was redesignated the 144th Fighter Wing and moved to Hayward, Calif., with General Moore still in command. He remained there until 1957 when the wing moved to Fresno, Calif., and was redesignated the 144th Air Defense Wing. In January 1959 he transferred to the Air Force Reserve and assumed command of the 349th Troop Carrier Wing at Hamilton Air Force Base, Calif. Under his direction, the 349th Wing has progressed from a troop carrier organization consisting of one group and four tactical squadrons to a Military Airlift Wing with four self-supporting groups (three military airlift and one troop carrier). As wing commander he supervised groups located at Hamilton and McClellan Air Force Bases, Calif.; McChord Air Force Base, Wash.; and Portland International Airport, Ore.
In 1960,in recognition of his capabilities, he was selected to command all Air Force Airlift Forces in the largest joint Army-Air Force exercise of that time. This resulted in a Certificate of Meritorious Service. He was a member of the Tactical Air Command Reserve Forces Policy Committee, 1959-1960; and U.S. Air Force Reserve Forces Policy Committee, 1961-1964.
On Jan. 26, 1968, General Moore and the 349th Military Airlift Wing were recalled to active duty and served as an organization under the command direction of Military Airlift Command. In August 1968 he assumed duties as commander, Air Force Reserve, with headquarters at Robins Air Force Base, Ga.
After discharge from active duty in March 1946, he was employed as general manager of Pumice Industries in Oakland, Calif., until 1954 when he went into business for himself. In 1959 he entered the Civil Service System under the Air Force Reserve Technician Program. In this capacity, he functioned as an air commander, GS-15, supervising some 600 civilians, who maintained the Reserve wing activities except during training periods. During training periods, these personnel filled Reserve positions with the weekend members. As one of the initial commanders in this program, General Moore was commended for his efforts by Continental Air Command.