Retired Sep. 1, 1997.
Major General Walter T. Worthington is commander of the Air Force Security Assistance Center, Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio. He is responsible for managing foreign military sales programs totaling in excess of $20 billion in support of more than 80 foreign countries.
The general was commissioned as a second lieutenant through the Reserve Officer Training Corps program and began his Air Force career in February 1963 at Laredo Air Force Base, Texas. He has commanded an Air Force fighter squadron, a fighter training wing, an air division and a numbered Air Force. General Worthington is a command pilot with more than 3,900 flying hours in the T-33, F-4, RF-4, F-15, F-16, AT-38, OV-10 and A/OA-10 aircraft. He flew 100 combat missions over North Vietnam.
1958 Wheat Swamp High School, Kinston, N.C.
1963 Bachelor of science degree in education, East Carolina College, Greenville, N.C.
1969 Air Force Fighter Weapons Instructor School, Nellis Air Force Base, Nev.
1971 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1978 Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
1984 Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1. February 1963 - September 1964, student, pilot training, Laredo Air Force Base, Texas
2. September 1964 - May 1966, F-4C pilot, 68th Tactical Fighter Squadron, George Air Force Base, Calif.; unit deployed to Korat Royal Thai Air Force Base, from August - November 1965
3. June 1966 - October 1966, F-4C aircraft commander, 497th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Ubon Royal Thai Air Force Base, Thailand
4. October 1966 - August 1970, F-4D aircraft commander, 53rd Tactical Fighter Squadron; wing training officer, 36th Tactical Fighter Wing; student, Fighter Weapons Instructor School, Nellis Air Force Base, Nev.; weapons officer, 53rd Tactical Fighter Squadron, Bitburg Air Base, West Germany
5. August 1970 - November 1971, student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
6. November 1971 - October 1972, flight commander, 36th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Osan Air Base, South Korea
7. October 1972 - June 1975, staff officer, deputy chief of staff for operations, Headquarters Tactical Air Command, Langley Air Force Base, Va.
8. June 1975 - October 1978, F-15 assistant operations officer, later operations officer, 27th Tactical Fighter Squadron (the first operational fighter squadron), Langley Air Force Base, Va.
9. January 1979 - November 1980, commander, 58th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Eglin Air Force Base, Fla.
10. November 1980 - July 1981, assistant director for operations, 33rd Tactical Fighter Wing, Eglin Air Force Base, Fla.
11. July 1981 - July 1982, assistant deputy chief of staff for operations, 314th Air Division, Yongsan Army Garrison, Seoul, South Korea
12. July 1982 - July 1983, director of operations, 51st Tactical Fighter Wing, Osan Air Base, South Korea
13. July 1983 - July 1984, student, Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
14. July 1984 - June 1986, commander, 479th Tactical Training Wing, Holloman Air Force Base, N.M.
15. June 1986 - September 1987, director, Joint Operations Planning and Execution System Project Group, MacDill Air Force Base, Fla.
16. October 1987 - January 1988, deputy director of deployment, U.S. Transportation Command, MacDill Air Force Base, Fla.
17. February 1988 - August 1988, deputy commander, Joint Task Force Middle East, aboard the USS Coronado
18. August 1988 - January 1990, commander, 836th Air Division, Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, Ariz.
19. January 1990 - July 1992, vice commander, 12th Air Force and U.S. Southern Air Forces, Bergstrom Air Force Base, Texas
20. July 1992 - August 1994, deputy commander in chief and chief of staff, U.S. Southern Command, Quarry Heights, Panama
21. August 1994 - present, commander, Air Force Security Assistance Center, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio
Rating: Command pilot
Flight Hours: More than 3,900; 192 combat hours over North Vietnam
Aircraft flown: T-33, F-4, RF-4, F-15, F-16, AT-38, OV-10 and A/OA-10
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Distinguished Service Medal
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit
Distinguished Flying Cross with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with six oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Successful command of the 58th Tactical Fighter Squadron culminated with the squadron deployment to Europe for Exercise Coronet Eagle, where the squadron flew 1,001 sorties in 18 flying days.
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Feb 28, 1963
First Lieutenant Aug 28, 1964
Captain Feb 18, 1967
Major Mar 1, 1971
Lieutenant Colonel Dec 1, 1976
Colonel May 1, 1981
Brigadier General Aug 1, 1988
Major General Mar 1, 1991