Died March 1, 1962.
Wilford F. Hall was born at Mount Vernon, Ill., in 1904. He graduated from high school there in 1922, attended the University of Illinois in Urbana for two years and graduated from Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, Mo., with a doctor of medicine degree in 1928.
Commissioned a first lieutenant in the Medical Reserve on June 5, 1928, General Hall was assigned to active duty. Beginning his internship at Fitzsimons General Hospital in Denver, Colo., that August, he received his Regular commission as a first lieutenant in the Medical Corps upon completion, Aug. 1, 1929. He attended the Army Medical School in Washington, D.C., from Sept. 1, 1929 to Jan. 31, 1930, and the Medical Field Service School at Carlisle Barracks, Penn., from Feb. 1 to May 30, 1930.
After serving as post surgeon at Fort George Wright in Spokane, Wash., for two years, he was transferred to Schofield Barracks, Hawaii. Entering the School of Aviation Medicine at Randolph Field, Texas, in January 1935, he graduated the following April and remained at Randolph Field as a medical officer.
Moving to Washington, D.C., in September 1938, General Hall was appointed a staff surgeon in the Office of the Chief of Air Corps, and three years later was transferred to the Air Surgeon's Office at Army Air Force headquarters. Assigned to the Fifth District, of the Technical Training Command at Miami Beach, Fla., in March 1943, as a staff surgeon, he was transferred to the AAF Western Technical Training Command at Denver, Colo., the following September, and in June 1944 went to the l000th AAF Base Unit at Atlantic City, N.J., moving with it to Louisville, Ky., that April, in that capacity.
Going to the European Theater in May 1945, General Hall became chief surgeon of the Ninth Air Force there a month later, and was named deputy surgeon of the U.S. Air Forces in Europe in December 1945.
Joining the Air Transport Command at Washington, D.C., in August 1947, General Hall became command surgeon. Upon the formation of the Military Air Transport Service in July 1948, General Hall was appointed its first command surgeon. He had a special residency in otolaryngology at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, Md., from March to May 1949, after which he resumed his duties as surgeon of MATS at Andrews Air Force Base, Md. He was transferred to the Air Force on July 1, 1949.
Early in September 1954, General Hall was assigned to Supreme Headquarters of the Allied Powers in Europe at Paris, France, as chief medical officer.
Returning to the United States, on Aug. 1, 1957, General Hall joined the Air Materiel Command headquarters at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio to assume duties as chief surgeon.
General Hall's decorations include the Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster, and the Army Commendation Ribbon with two clusters. He is rated a chief flight surgeon. A member of the American Medical Association, the Association of Military Surgeons, the Aero Medical Association, Sigma Nu-Social, and the Phi Beta Pi medical fraternities. He is a founder member of the American Board of Aviation Medicine and the American Rhinologic Societies.
Was always an enthusiastic tennis player, but in recent years has given up this sport for golf. Shoots in the high 70s. Likes fishing and high fidelity music. Is an early riser and keeps in top physical condition.
Is a specialist in Otorhinolaryngology (ear, nose and throat), with much specialized training and experience in reconstruction of the nose in which specialty he continues to devote an appreciable amount of time.
Is a member of many medical societies. Charter member of the American Rhinologic Society. Has activities in local civic and medical societies and groups.