Retired April 1, 2002.
Maj. Gen. William A. Moorman is the judge advocate general of the U.S. Air Force, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C. He serves as the senior uniformed Air Force attorney responsible for the furnishing of legal advice, opinions and assistance on a wide variety of subjects to the chief of staff, Air Staff, and Air Force commanders and agencies worldwide. He oversees the provision of legal services by 1,300 Air Force judge advocates, 310 civilian attorneys, 894 enlisted paralegals and 600 other civilian employees.
The general, who was born in Chicago, entered the Air Force in 1971 through the Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps program. He has served as a staff judge advocate at wing, numbered air force and major air command levels. He was the first staff judge advocate at U.S. Strategic Command and was commander of the Air Force Legal Services Agency. Prior to assuming his current position, he was the staff judge advocate at Headquarters Air Combat Command.
1967 Bachelor of arts degree in history and economics, University of Illinois
1970 Juris doctorate, University of Illinois College of Law
1974 Squadron Officer School, by correspondence
1980 Distinguished graduate, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1989 National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
1. September 1971 - July 1974, chief of contracts, Air Force Communications Service, Richards-Gebaur Air Force Base, Mo.
2. July 1974 - August 1977, chief of claims, 475th Air Base Wing and 5th Air Force, Yokota Air Base, Japan
3. August 1977 - August 1979, deputy staff judge advocate, then staff judge advocate, 31st Tactical Fighter Wing, Homestead Air Force Base, Fla.
4. August 1979 - June 1980, student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
5. July 1980 - July 1983, staff judge advocate, 832nd Air Division, Luke Air Force Base, Ariz.
6. July 1983 - August 1988, chief, preventive law and legal air group, then chief, Career Management and Plans Division, Office of the Judge Advocate General, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
7. August 1988 - June 1989, student, National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
8. June 1989 - August 1991, staff judge advocate, 12th Air Force and U.S. Southern Command Air Forces, Bergstrom Air Force Base, Texas
9. August 1991 - May 1992, deputy staff judge advocate, Strategic Air Command, Offutt Air Force Base, Neb.
10. June 1992 - July 1993, staff judge advocate, U.S. Strategic Command, Offutt Air Force Base, Neb.
11. August 1993 - July 1995, staff judge advocate, Headquarters U.S. Air Forces in Europe, Ramstein Air Base, Germany
12. July 1995 - March 1996, commander, Air Force Legal Services Agency, Bolling Air Force Base, D.C.
13. March 1996 - February 1999, staff judge advocate, Headquarters Air Combat Command, Langley Air Force Base, Va.
14. February 1999 - present, judge advocate general of the U.S. Air Force, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Distinguished Service Medal
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
1979 Albert M. Kuhfeld Award - Outstanding Young Judge Advocate of the Air Force
1992 Stuart R. Reichart Award - Outstanding Senior Attorney of the Air Force
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Jun 3, 1970
Captain Aug 4, 1972
Major Oct 12, 1979
Lieutenant Colonel Dec 1, 1982
Colonel Jul 1, 1988
Brigadier General Mar 14, 1996
Major General Mar 1, 1999