Retired Sep. 1, 1984.
Major General William B. Maxson is vice commander, 15th Air Force, Strategic Air Command, March Air Force Base, Calif.
General Maxson was born in 1930, in Akron, Ohio. He graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy in 1952. In 1962 he received a master's degree in aeronautical engineering through the Air Force Institute of Technology. He graduated from the Armed Forces Staff College in 1966 and the Air War College in 1971.
After pilot training he served in various operational and maintenance positions in the Strategic Air Command. Following graduate school he held several positions in research and development with Headquarters Air Force Systems Command and Headquarters U.S. Air Force. In Southeast Asia he flew 281 combat missions in B-57s with the 35th Tactical Fighter Wing.
He served as deputy assistant to the secretary of Defense (atomic energy) and as a director on the Air Staff. He commanded the 416th Bombardment Wing at Griffiss Air Force Base, N.Y.; the 340th Consolidated Maintenance Wing at U-Tapao Royal Thai Naval Airfield, Thailand; Lowry Technical Training Center, Lowry Air Force Base, Colo.; and Air Force Systems Command's Armament Division, Eglin Air Force Base, Fla. He assumed his present duties in September 1983.
His military decorations and awards include the Distinguished Service Medal, Silver Star, Defense Superior Service Medal, Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster, Distinguished Flying Cross and Air Medal with 14 oak leaf clusters.
He was promoted to major general Feb. 4, 1978, with date of rank July 1, 1974.