Retired July 1, 1964. Died Sep. 1, 1968.
William L. Rogers was born in Larchwood, Iowa, in 1911. He graduated from Rock Rapids (Iowa) High School in 1929, and after attending the University of South Dakota for one year, entered the U.S. Military Academy. He graduated in 1934 with a bachelor of science degree.
In 1939 he received a master of science degree from Cornell University in Ithaca, N.Y.
From 1944 to 1945 Lieutenant Colonel Rogers was commanding officer of the 1141st Engineer Combat Group in the European Theater of Operations, receiving the Legion of Merit and the Silver Star. From 1945 to 1947 he served as commanding officer of the 346th Engineer General Service Regiment in Germany, being awarded the Commendation Ribbon in March 1946 from 7th Army Headquarters.
Colonel Rogers transferred from the U.S. Army to the U.S. Air Force Sept. 26, 1947. Following two years of duty at Offutt Air Force Base, Neb., and Fort Benjamin Harrison, Ind., he attended the Air War College at Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala. He then was assigned to Headquarters Military Air Transport Service in Washington D.C., where he served as chief of air installations, Directorate of Materiel, from July 1950 to June 1951, and as deputy director, Materiel, from June 1951 to April 1952.
From 1952 to 1954 Colonel Rogers was assigned as deputy chief of staff, Materiel, at Headquarters Air Research and Development Command in Baltimore, Md. In July 1954 he became assistant for development programming with the deputy chief of staff, Development, at Headquarters U. S. Air Force in Washington, D.C. He held this position until March 1958. During this tour of duty he was promoted to the rank of brigadier general in October 1956.
In March 1958 General Rogers became vice commander of the Air Force Missile Test Center, Patrick Air Force Base, Fla. In May 1958 he was awarded an oak leaf cluster to the Legion of Merit for his work at Air Force headquarters, the citation stating that "General Rogers designed streamlined administrative procedures for Air Force ballistic missile programs by revising the controls exercised by Headquarters U.S. Air Force over the field agencies to better manage the Research and Development program; and bringing the management of all research and development resources under the research and development agencies." In March 1961 General Rogers was promoted to the rank of major general.
On June 23, 1961 General Rogers assumed command of the Arnold Engineering Development Center, Arnold Air Force Station, Tenn. He is a member of Beta Theta Pi fraternity, and a member of the New York Athletic Club.