Retired Nov. 1, 1958.
William Maurice Morgan vas born at Marshall, Mo., in 1903. He enlisted as a flying cadet in October 1927, entered the Air Corps Primary Flying School at March Field, Calif., graduated from Air Corps Advanced Flying School at Kelly Field, Texas Oct. 20, 1928, was appointed a second lieutenant in the Air Reserve and ordered to active duty with the First Pursuit Group at Selfridge Field, Mich.
Receiving his regular commission as a second lieutenant in the Army Air Corps in May 1929, General Morgan was transferred in June 1931 to the Air Corps Advanced Flying School at Kelly Field, Texas to become assistant commandant of cadets and fighter flying instructor.
Reassigned in December 1934, General Morgan became assistant operations and intelligence officer of the Third Pursuit Squadron at Clark Field in the Philippines. In May 1937 he was assigned to Wright Field, Ohio where he served successively as assistant operations officer, test pilot of experimental aircraft, project officer on transport and training type aircraft, chief of the Production Engineering Section and assistant chief of the Production Division.
During World War II General Morgan was transferred to the Pacific Theater in August 1944 as assistant chief of staff for operations of the Fifth Air Force. Assuming command of the 310th Bomb Wing of the Fifth Air Force in June 1945, a year later he was named commander of the 85th Fighter Wing of the 13th Air Force in the South Pacific.
Graduating from the National War College in August 1947, the general then was assigned to Wright Field, Ohio as chief of engineering operations of the Engineering Division. In June 1948 he was appointed commanding general of the Ogden, Utah Air Materiel Area, with Headquarters at Hill Air Force Base, Utah. Joining the Air Defense Command in December 1949, General Morgan was designated vice commander of the Western Air Defense Force of Continental Air Command, with station at Hamilton Air Force Base, Calif.
Appointed commanding general of the Western Air Procurement District at Los Angeles, Calif., in July 1951, in October 1953 General Morgan was assigned duty as director of materiel, J-4, U.S. European Command headquarters at Frankfurt, Germany, moving to Paris, France May 3, 1954.
Returning to the United States June 22, 1956, General Morgan joined the Air Force Cambridge Research Center, Air Research & Development Command, at Cambridge, Mass., and on July 21, 1956 assumed command of the center.
His decorations include the Legion of Merit and the Air Medal. He is rated a command pilot.