Retired Aug. 1, 1984.
Major General William W. Hoover is deputy assistant secretary for military application, and director of military application at the Department of Energy, Washington, D.C. He directs the nation's nuclear weapons program and he has management responsibility for all research, development, testing and production of nuclear weapons.
General Hoover was born in 1932, in St. Joseph, Mo. He graduated from Hirsch High School, Chicago, in 1950. Upon graduation from the U.S. Naval Academy, Annapolis, Md., in 1954, he was commissioned a second lieutenant in the U.S. Air Force and subsequently graduated from pilot training in 1955. He received a master of science degree in aeronautical engineering from the Air Force Institute of Technology in 1960; graduated from the Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala., in 1965; and the National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C., in 1971.
His first assignment was at Castle Air Force Base, Calif., as a fighter-interceptor pilot from December 1955 to February 1959. He then attended the Air Force Institute of Technology for graduate study. After receiving his master's degree in September 1960, General Hoover served as a research and development officer with the Air Force Systems Command's Space and Missile Systems Organization in Los Angeles. In November 1965 General Hoover completed the Air Command and Staff College and was assigned as an operations officer, 57th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron at Keflavik Airport, Iceland.
The general transferred to Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C., in November 1966 for a tour of duty as a planning and programming officer in the Directorate of Doctrine, Concepts and Objectives, Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff, Plans and Operations. He attended the National War College from August 1970 to August 1971.
After F-4 training at MacDill Air Force Base, Fla., General Hoover was assigned in March 1972 as deputy chief of staff, operations for the 366th Tactical Fighter Wing at Da Nang Air Base, Republic of Vietnam. In June 1972 when the 366th Tactical Fighter Wing was relocated to Takhli Royal Thai Air Force Base, Thailand, General Hoover remained at Da Nang as commander of the 6498th Air Base Wing. He remained there until March 1973 when the wing was inactivated and the base turned over to the Republic of Vietnam.
General Hoover moved to Belgium in May 1973 as executive officer to the assistant chief of staff, operations, Supreme Headquarters Allied Powers Europe. In June 1974 he was named executive officer to the command's chief of staff.
In January 1976 General Hoover was appointed military assistant to the Secretary of the Air Force Thomas C. Reed. After Mr. Reed's departure in April 1977, he remained as military assistant to Secretary of the Air Force John C. Stetson. General Hoover was named commander of the Lowry Technical Training Center, Lowry Air Force Base, Colo., in April 1978. He served in that capacity until September 1979 when he became the Department of Energy's director of military application. He assumed his present duties in November 1981.
General Hoover is a command pilot and flew 97 combat missions in Southeast Asia. His military decorations and awards include the Air Force Distinguished Service Medal, Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster, Distinguished Flying Cross with oak leaf cluster, Meritorious Service Medal, Air Medal with six oak leaf clusters, Air Force Commendation Medal, Presidential Unit Citation emblem, Air Force Outstanding Unit Award ribbon with "V" device and four oak leaf clusters and Republic of Vietnam Gallantry Cross with gold star.
He was promoted to major general June 1, 1979, with date of rank Sept. 1, 1975.