Mary L. Walker is the General Counsel of the Air Force in Washington, D.C. As the chief legal officer and chief ethics official of the Department of the Air Force, Ms. Walker is responsible for provision and delivery of legal services for the Air Force and provides oversight, guidance and direction for the legal advice provided by nearly 2,000 military and civilian lawyers worldwide.
Prior to this appointment, Ms. Walker was a partner in private practice in California. She represented a diverse range of clients, including those in oil, shipbuilding, transportation, manufacturing, high technology, biotechnology, fisheries, food, land development and municipal government. She specialized in environmental and natural resource matters, including mergers and acquisitions, and litigation, but also handled business litigation, labor matters and contract disputes. She is licensed to practice law before the U.S. Supreme Court, the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals and the federal district courts in California.
Ms. Walker previously served as the Assistant Secretary for Environment, Safety & Health, U.S. Department of Energy, the Deputy Solicitor of the U.S. Department of Interior, the Principal Deputy Assistant Attorney General of the Environment & Resources Division of the U.S. Department of Justice, and a U.S. Commissioner of the Inter-American Tropical Tuna Commission. She has served on the boards of several nonprofit organizations, including Global Involvement Through Education, Floresta Inc., BIOCOM/San Diego, and the Endowment for Community Leadership. Ms. Walker has been an instructor of natural resources law for the University of California and a frequent author of opinion pieces on environmental regulation, energy policy and nuclear power.
1970 Bachelor of Science degree in biological sciences and ecology, University of California, Berkeley
1972 - 1973 Visiting 3rd year student, UCLA Law School
1973 Juris Doctor degree, Boston University Law School
1. 1973 - 1976, attorney, Southern Pacific Transportation Company, San Francisco, Calif.
2. 1976 - 1977, associate, Richards, Watson & Gershon, Los Angeles, Calif.
3. 1978 - 1982, partner, Richards, Watson & Gershon, Los Angeles, Calif.
4. 1982 - 1984, Principal Deputy Assistant Attorney General, Environment and Natural Resources Division, U.S. Department of Justice, Washington, D.C.
5. 1984 - 1985, Deputy Solicitor, U.S. Department of Interior, Washington, D.C.
6. 1985 - 1988, Assistant Secretary for Environment, Safety and Health, Department of Energy, Washington, D.C.
7. 1988 - 1995, U.S. Commissioner, Inter-American Tropical Tuna Commission
8. 1988 - 1989, Vice President, West Coast and the Pacific, Law Environmental Inc., and Special Consultant to the Chairman of the Board, Law Engineering Inc.
9. 1989 - 1991, partner, Richards, Watson & Gershon, San Francisco, Calif.
10. 1991 - 1994, partner, Luce, Forward, Hamilton & Scripps, San Diego, Calif.
11. 1994 - 2001, partner, Brobeck, Phleger & Harrison LLP, San Diego, Calif.
12. 2001 - present, General Counsel of the Air Force, Department of the Air Force, Washington, D.C.
AWARDS AND HONORS
1984 Outstanding Young Women of America
1987 Secretary's Gold Medal Award, Department of Energy
1994 Women Who Mean Business Award, Inaugural Award for Law, San Diego
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
U.S. Supreme Court
U.S. District Court, Northern, Central, Eastern and Southern District of California
U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit
California State Bar
The Federalist Society
1987 - 2001 Board of Directors, Endowment for Community Leadership, Washington, D.C.
1991 - 2000 Board of Directors, BIOCOM/San Diego
1991 - 2001 Chair and Co-Chair, Environmental & Safety Committee, BIOCOM
1993 - 1994 Chair, Environmental Committee, San Diego Chamber of Commerce
1993 - 1999 Advisory Board for Environmental Management, University of California, San Diego
1994 President, BIOCOM/San Diego
2000 - 2001 Instructor, Natural Resources Law, UCSD Extension, San Diego