Michael A. Gill, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is Director, TRICARE Regional Office-South, TRICARE Management Activity, Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense for Health Affairs, San Antonio, Texas. As Regional Director, he is responsible for the management and performance of the multibillion dollar TRICARE contracts that service more than 2.8 million beneficiaries in the 10-state South Region. Designated the region?s health plan manager, he has visibility of both contract and direct care assets, and coordinates with the services to develop an integrated heath plan.
Mr. Gill, a Georgia native, entered government service with the Air Force in 1982 under the Mid-Level Management Training Program at Robins AFB, Ga., where he served as a contract specialist, contracting officer and manager supporting weapon systems such as the F-111, F-4 and F-15. He has served as the program manager for the Air Force Contracting and Manufacturing Civilian Career Program, and held several senior staff positions at Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio. Prior to assuming his current position, Mr. Gill was the Director of Contracting for the Ogden Air Logistics Center at Hill AFB, Utah.
1978 Bachelor of Business Administration degree, Georgia College
1980 Master of Business Administration degree, Georgia College
1998 Defense Leadership and Management Program
1999 Defense System Management College, Advanced Program Management Course, Fort Belvoir, Va.
2002 Leadership for a Democratic Society, Federal Executive Institute, Charlottesville, Va.
1. January 1982 - May 1992, contract specialist, later, contracting officer, later, Manager, F-111, F-4 and F-15 weapons systems, Robins AFB, Ga.
2. May 1992 - September 1995, Program Manager, Air Force Contracting and Manufacturing Civilian Career Program, Air Force Civilian Personnel Management Center, Randolph AFB, Texas
3. September 1995 - August 1997, procurement analyst, Logistics Contracting Division, Headquarters AFMC, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
4. August 1997 - January 1998, procurement analyst, Acquisition Support Team, Headquarters AFMC, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
5. January 1998 - March 1998, Deputy Chief, Procurement Policy Division, Headquarters AFMC, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
6. March 1998 - February 2000, Chief, Logistics Contracting Division, Headquarters AFMC, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
7. February 2000 - March 2001, Deputy Director of Contracting, Oklahoma City ALC, Tinker AFB, Okla.
8. April 2001 - July 2004, Director of Contracting, Ogden ALC, Hill AFB, Utah
9. August 2004 - present, Director, TRICARE Regional Office-South, TRICARE Management Activity, Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense for Health Affairs, San Antonio, Texas
AWARDS AND HONORS
1988 Secretary of the Air Force Professionalism in Contracting Award, non-supervisory
1990 Fellow, National Contract Management Association
1995 Exemplary Civilian Service Award
1997 Department of Defense Logistics Life Cycle Cost Reduction Award
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
National Contract Management Association
Air Force Association
Senior Executive Association
Certified professional contracts manager, National Contract Management Association
Professional designation in contract management, National Contract Management Association
Contracting, Level III, Acquisition Professional Development Program