Nelson F. Gibbs is Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Installations, Environment and Logistics, Washington, D.C. As Assistant Secretary, he heads three division departments that deal at the policy level with Air Force facility and logistical issues. The department's responsibilities include installations, military construction, base closure and realignment; environment, safety and occupational health issues; and all logistical matters.
Mr. Gibbs was born in Rochester, N.Y. He is a graduate of Clarkson and Purdue universities. After two years of commissioned service in the U.S. Army, he began his career in private industry. Mr. Gibbs served in a variety of positions for Deloitte & Touche, an accounting, tax and consulting firm, from 1962 to 1991. He joined Northrop Grumman Corp., an aerospace and defense company, in 1991, and was the Corporate Controller until 1999. He left private industry for public service with the Office of Management and Budget, where he served as Executive Director of the Cost Accounting Standards Board until he was confirmed in his current position in 2001.
1959 Bachelor of civil engineering, Clarkson University, Potsdam, N.Y.
1962 Master of science degree in industrial management, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Ind.
1. 1959 - 1962, U.S. Army officer
2. 1962 - 1970, General Management and Financial Systems Consultant, Deloitte & Touche, Los Angeles, Calif.
3. 1971 - 1981, Audit Partner, Deloitte & Touche, Los Angeles, Calif.
4. 1982 - 1985, Director of Audit Operations, Deloitte & Touche, Los Angeles, Calif.
5. 1986 - 1987, Lead client Service Partner, Deloitte & Touche, Los Angeles, Calif.
6. 1988 - 1991, Senior Partner, Deloitte & Touche, Tokyo, Japan
7. 1991 - 1999, Corporate Controller, Northrop Grumman Corp., Los Angeles, Calif.
8. 1999 - 2001, Executive Director, Cost Accounting Standards Board, Office of Management and Budget, Washington, D.C.
5. 2001 - present, Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Installations, Environment and Logistics, Washington, D.C.
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
Certified Public Accountant, State of California