Patricia Kirk-McAlpine, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is Director of Contracting, Space and Missile Systems Center, Air Force Space Command, Los Angeles Air Force Base, Calif. In this position, Mrs. Kirk-McAlpine advises the commands program executive officer for space programs on acquisition strategy, contracting processes, and acquisition reform and streamlining. Mrs. Kirk-McAlpine is responsible for 250 active contracts valued above $55 billion with annual obligations of $8.5 billion. She is responsible for the training, career development and use of more than 300 professional contracting people.
Mrs. Kirk-McAlpine began federal service as a member of the three-year U.S. Army Career Intern Program. Following graduation from the intern program, she was immediately assigned as lead negotiator with the U.S. Army Missile Commands Hawk Missile System Program Office. As an Air Force civilian, her first assignment with the Air Force Plant Representative Office at Northrop Corp. was followed by a position as negotiator for the Space and Missile Systems organizations Advanced Ballistic Reentry System. Shortly thereafter, Mrs. Kirk-Alpine became a contracting officer for the Secretary of the Air Force Office of Special Projects.
Achieving extensive experience in the field of contracting, Mrs. Kirk-McAlpine joined the Armys headquarters in Alexandria, Va., as a procurement analyst. In 1983, she left for the Central Intelligence Agency where she held numerous positions and was appointed to set up the first contracting component for the Office of Communications. This position presented an opportunity to expand her abilities, skills and talents in a broader leadership role as responsible for contracting some of the agencies most critical and sensitive acquisitions. Continuing her progression, Mrs. Kirk-McAlpine began another civilian tour with the Air Force in 1988. She was appointed to the Senior Executive Service in 1998.
1973 Bachelor of arts degree, Stillman College, Tuscaloosa, Ala.
1977 Master of business administration degree, Alabama A&M University
1992 Executive Development Course, University of Southern California
1992 Defense Systems Management Course, Fort Belvoir, Va.
1997 Senior Executive Fellows Program, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.
1999 Leadership for a Democratic Society, Federal Executive Institute
2001 National Security Leadership Course, Johns Hopkins University
1. 1973 - 1977, intern contract specialist, later, lead negotiator, Hawk Missile System Program Office, U.S. Army Missile Command, Huntsville, Ala.
2. 1978 - 1979, contract negotiator, Space and Missile Systems Organization, Los Angeles AFB, Calif.
3. 1979 1980, contracting officer, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force for Special Projects, Los Angeles, Calif.
4. 1982 - 1983, procurement analyst, Headquarters Army Materiel Command, Alexandria, Va.
5. 1983 - 1985, Deputy Chief, Central Intelligence Agency Centralized Procurement, Washington, D.C.
6. 1985 - 1987, Chief of Contracts, Office of Communications, Central Intelligence Office, Washington, D.C.
7. 1987 - 1988, Director, Contracts Engineering Office, CIA, Washington, D.C.
8. 1988 - 1991, Director of Contracts, Milstar Joint Program Office, Space and Missile Systems Center, Los Angeles AFB, Calif.
9. January 1991 - July 1992, Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff for Contracting, Space and missile Systems Center, Los Angeles AFB, Calif.
10. July 1992 - December 1992, student, Defense Systems Management College, Fort Belvoir, Va.
11. December 1992 - September 1996, Chief of Plans, Programs and Management, and Competition Advocate, Space and Missile Systems Center, Los Angeles AFB, Calif.
12. September 1996 - September 1998, Chief of Acquisition Contracts Support, Space and Missile Systems Center, Los Angeles AFB, Calif.
13. October 1998 - present, Director of Contracting, Space and missile Systems Center, Los Angeles AFB, Calif.
AWARDS AND HONORS
Numerous annual performance awards
Whos Who Among Students in American Colleges and Universities
Operational Rose Award for community service, Alpha Kappa Alpha
Outstanding Young Women of America
Outstanding Service Award, National AIDS Awareness Foundation
Performance and monetary awards, Department of the Air Force
Exceptional Performance Award and monetary award, Department of the Army
Platinum Award, CIA
1996 Supervisor of the Year, Directorate of Contracting
1996 Angel Award, Space and Missile Systems Center
1996 Special Act Award
Exemplary Civilian Service Award and medals
1997 Air Force commendation
1997 Civilian of the Year, Air Force Association, California
1999 Spirit of the Dream Award, Space and Missile Systems Center
2002 Los Angeles County Volunteer of the Year
Contracting, Level III, Acquisition Professional Development Program
Program Management, Level III, APDP