Mr. Richard E. Knoll, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is Deputy Program Director, F/A-22 System Program Office, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio. He serves as the senior civilian program manager for the 300-person office responsible for managing the development, production and sustainment of the $72 billion F/A-22 program.
Mr. Knoll entered federal service in 1981 as a design engineer assigned to Sacramento Air Logistics Center, McClellan AFB, Calif. He has held positions in acquisition management as Chief Engineer for the A-10 and A-7 weapon systems, system support manager for the Air Force Weather System, and Deputy System Program Director for both the B-1 Lancer and Reconnaissance System Program Offices. Mr. Knoll has also held staff positions at Aeronautical Systems Center and at Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command.
Prior to his current position, Mr. Knoll was the System Program Director for the F-117 Nighthawk program at Aeronautical Systems Center. He was responsible for cradle-to-grave acquisition management, development, test, modernization and sustainment of the world's only operational stealth fighter, representing a $10 billion investment. He led the efforts to incorporate several classified quick reaction capabilities that were used for the first time by Nighthawk pilots on the opening night of Operation Iraqi Freedom.
1981 Bachelor?s degree in electrical and electronics engineering, California State University, Sacramento
1989 Air Command and Staff College, by seminar
1993 Master?s degree in management, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge
1994 Program Management Course, Defense Systems Management College, Fort Belvoir, Va.
1997 Executive Program Manager?s Course, Defense Systems Management College, Fort Belvoir, Va.
1998 Leadership for a Democratic Society, Federal Executive Institute, Charlottesville, Va.
1999 Air War College, by correspondence
2004 Defense Leadership and Management Program, National Defense University, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
1. 1981 ? 1983, design engineer, Sacramento Air Logistics Center, McClellan AFB, Calif.
2. 1984 ? 1985, very large-scale integrated/very high-speed integrated circuit design engineer, Sacramento ALC, McClellan AFB, Calif.
3. 1986 ? 1989, Chief Engineer, Advanced Tactical Fighter System Program Management Office, Sacramento ALC, McClellan AFB, Calif.
4. 1989 ? 1992, Chief Engineer, A-10/A-7 System Program Management Office, Sacramento ALC, McClellan AFB, Calif.
5. 1992 ? 1993, student, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge
6. 1993 ? 1994, System Support Manager, Air Force Weather System, Sacramento ALC, Calif.
7. 1994 ? 1995, Deputy Chief, Plans Division, Development Planning Directorate, Aeronautical Systems Center, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
8. 1995 ? 1997, Chief, Command, Control, Communications and Computers, and Intelligence Systems Division, Directorate of Requirements, Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
9. 1997 ? 1999, Deputy System Program Director, B-1 System Program Office, ASC, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
10. 1999 ? 2000, Deputy Director of Systems Management for the Product Support Business Area, Systems Management Directorate, ASC, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
11. 2000 ? 2002, Deputy System Program Director, Reconnaissance SPO, ASC, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
12. 2002 ? 2003, System Program Director, F-117 SPO, ASC, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
13. 2003 ? present, Deputy System Program Director, F/A-22 SPO, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
AWARDS AND HONORS
1999 Exemplary Civilian Service Award
2003 Meritorious Civilian Service Award
1986 Appointed to the Logistics Civilian Career Enhancement Program, Executive Cadre
1992 Sloan Fellowship
1993 Appointed to Air Force Materiel Command Top Rung Cadre
1997 Appointed to Defense Leadership and Management Program
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
Senior Executives Association, Western Ohio Chapter
Project Management Institute
Life Member, Air Force Association
Senior Member, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics
Miami Valley Military Affairs Association
Life Member, McClellan Museum Foundation