Richard L. Testa, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is Director, Headquarters Information and Communications Support, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, Washington, D.C. Mr. Testa also serves as the Chief Information Officer for the Air Staff, and directs the activities of subordinate divisions and field operating agencies providing all supporting communications and information management functions in the National Capital Region. His responsibilities include the planning, programming, budgeting, operations and maintenance of all Air Staff information and communications services and capabilities. In addition, Mr. Testa oversees the operation of the Air Force Pentagon Communications Agency, which is also responsible for command and control support to the National Military Command Center and executive travel support to senior Department of Defense officials.
Prior to joining the Senior Executive Service, Mr. Testa served for more than 30 years in the Air Force and Air National Guard. He has commanded at squadron and group levels, and held senior officer positions at major commands and at Headquarters U.S. Air Force. An experienced tactical communicator, Mr. Testa frequently deployed on worldwide military training and contingency operations, including an assignment as Director of Communications for Joint Task Force - Southwest Asia, Operation Southern Watch. Mr. Testa retired from military service as a major general.
1969 Bachelor of Business Administration degree, North Texas State University, Denton
1976 Squadron Officer School, by correspondence
1979 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
1985 National Security Management Course
1996 Master of Science degree in education, Old Dominion University, Norfolk, Va.
1. October 1970 - July 1971, squadron air operations officer, 149th Tactical Fighter Wing, Texas Air National Guard, Kelly Air Force Base, Texas
2. July 1971 - December 1975, communications officer, 261st Combat Communications Squadron, Sepulveda Air National Guard Station, Van Nuys, Calif.
3. December 1975 December 1989, detachment commander, later, Commander, 261st Combat Communications Squadron, Sepulveda ANG Station, Van Nuys, Calif.
4. December 1989 - March 1995, air commander, Headquarters 162nd Combat Communications Group, North Highlands ANG Station, Roseville, Calif.
5. March 1995 - November 1997, senior ANG adviser to the Director of Communications and Information, Air Combat Command, Langley AFB, Va.
6. November 1997 - March 1999, senior ANG assistant to the Commander, U.S. Air Force Aerospace Command and Control, Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Center, Langley AFB, Va.
7. March 1999 - July 1999, Reserve Forces Adviser to the Director of Communications, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
8. July 1999 - April 2000, Deputy Director of Systems, Air Force Communications and Information Center, Washington, D.C.
9. April 2000 - November 2001, ANG Assistant to the Commander, Aerospace Command and Control, Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Center, Langley AFB, Va.
10. November 2001 - March 2002, ANG Assistant to the Director of Communications and Information, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
11. April 2002 - January 2003, ANG Assistant to the Deputy Chief of Staff for Warfighting Integration, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
12. January 2003 - May 2005, Deputy Director of Communications Operations, Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff for Installations and Logistics, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
13. May 2005 - present, Director, Headquarters Communications and Information Support, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, Washington, D.C.
AWARDS AND HONORS
Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award with oak leaf cluster
Combat Readiness Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Southwest Asia Service Medal
Kuwait Liberation Medal (Kingdom of Saudi Arabia)
Kuwait Liberation Medal (Government of Kuwait)
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
Armed Forces Communications and Electronics Association
National Guard Association of the United States