Richard P. (Gus) Gustafson, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is the Associate Deputy Assistant Secretary for Financial Operations and Technology, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Financial Management and Comptroller, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C. Mr. Gustafson provides guidance and technical expertise to the Deputy Assistant Secretary for Financial Operations, the Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force Financial Management and Comptroller, and other Air Force senior leaders on matters relating to federal financial management and information technology.
Mr. Gustafson began his federal career when he enlisted in the United States Air Force in 1971. He served in a variety of financial management positions until he was commissioned in 1978. From 1978 until his retirement in 1992, Mr. Gustafson held operational positions as accounting and finance officer, budget officer, base comptroller and squadron commander. In addition, he held staff officer positions at Headquarters Tactical Air Command and the Air Force Accounting and Finance Center. Upon his retirement, Mr. Gustafson entered Civil Service and provided financial support to Department of Defense technology organizations with his last position being the Deputy Director of the Financial Systems Organization, Defense Finance and Accounting Service, Indianapolis, Ind. Mr. Gustafson entered the private sector in 1996 focusing on technology solutions for the Defense Department.
1978 Bachelor of arts degree in accounting, with honors, McKendree College, Lebanon, Ill.
1981 U.S. Air Force Squadron Officers School
1982 Master of science degree in management, Troy State University, Ala.
1986 U.S. Air Force Air Command and Staff College
1996 Federal Executive Institute
1. 1971-1978, U.S. Air Force enlisted member; occupied positions in accounting and finance, Blytheville Air Force Base, Ark. and Scott AFB, Ill.
2. 1978-1980, Wing/Base Accounting and Finance Officer, 4787th Air Base Group, Duluth International Airport, Minn.
3. 1980-1982, Wing/Base Accounting and Finance Officer, 1st Special Operations Wing, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
4. 1982-1984, Inspector General, Comptroller Branch, Headquarters Tactical Air Command, Langley AFB, Va.
5. 1984-1986, budget officer, U. S. Southern Air Division, Quarry Heights, Panama
6. 1986-1988, Comptroller, U. S. Southern Air Division, Quarry Heights, Panama
7. 1988-1991, Chief, Travel Systems and Entitlements, Defense Finance and Accounting Service Denver Center, Denver, Colo.
8. 1991-1992, Military Assistant to the Center Director, Defense Finance and Accounting Service Denver Center, Denver, Colo.
9. 1992-1993, Deputy Resource Manager, Defense Information Technology Services Organization, Denver, Colo.
10. 1993-1995, Director, Business Management, Financial Systems Organization Headquarters, Defense Finance and Accounting Service, Denver, Colo. and Indianapolis, Ind.
11. 1995-1996, Deputy Director, Financial Systems Organization Headquarters, Defense Finance and Accounting Service, Indianapolis, Ind.
12. 1996-1999, Vice President, Financial Systems, Government Industry Group, Electronic Data Systems, Herndon, Va.
13. 1999-2002, Director, Department of Defense Financial Management Program, Oracle Corporation, Reston, Va.
14. 2002-2003, Senior Principal, Federal Defense Group, American Management Systems, Fairfax, Va.
15. 2003 - present, Associate Deputy Assistant Secretary for Financial Operations and Technology, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Financial Management, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
AWARDS AND HONORS
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with valor device and four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Good Conduct Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Recognition Ribbon
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
Air Force Overseas Long Tour Ribbon
Air Force Longevity Service Award Ribbon with four oak leaf clusters
Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon
Air Force Training Ribbon with oak leaf cluster
Certified government financial manager
Seven civilian achievement and performance awards
Vincennes University (Accounting), Indianapolis, Ind.
Aurora Community College (Accounting), Aurora, Colo.
Florida State University (Accounting and Management), Howard AFB, Panama
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
American Society of Military Comptroller
Air Force Association
Association of Government Accountants