Robert J. Conner, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is Executive Director, Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio. He advises the Commander in managing all aspects of the command?s mission, which involves planning, managing and conducting research, development, testing, acquisition and sustainment activities to advance the state of the art and support of all systems, subsystems and components across the Air Force. Organizationally, the command is a large, highly complex, geographically separate mix of product, logistics, test and specialized centers, as well as laboratory and support facilities, with more than 79,000 military and civilian professionals and a budget that exceeds one-third of the Air Force budget.
Mr. Conner was born in Evansville, Ind. He began his Air Force career in 1974 as a management intern at the Warner Robins Air Logistics Center, Robins AFB, Ga. He managed avionics programs at Headquarters Air Force Logistics Command, worked in acquisition logistics at the Aeronautical Systems Center and managed international logistics programs at the Pentagon.
Mr. Conner transferred to the Sacramento ALC, McClellan AFB, Calif., in 1983. In his 10 years at the center he held a variety of management positions, including program manager on a major foreign military sales program with the government of Turkey, Deputy System Manager for the A-10 aircraft and Associate Director for Commodities. He moved to the Oklahoma City ALC in 1993 where he was Director of Commodities Management, the Comptroller, the Director of Logistics Management and, prior to assuming his current position, Executive Director.
1974 Bachelor of Arts degree in mathematics and psychology, Indiana University
1978 Master's degree in logistics management, Air Force Institute of Technology
1988 Program for Senior Officials in National Security, John F. Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.
1993 Program Management Course, Defense Systems Management College, Fort Belvoir, Va.
1994 Federal Executive Institute, Charlottesville, Va.
1. August 1974 - August 1976, management intern, Warner Robins ALC, Robins AFB, Ga.
2. August 1976 - April 1982, logistics staff officer, later, Chief, Avionics Branch, Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff of Logistics Operations, Headquarters AFLC, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
3. April 1982 - August 1982, Deputy Director, Logistics, Reconnaissance, Strike and Electronic Warfare System Program Office, Air Force Acquisition Logistics Division, ASC, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
4. August 1982 - December 1983, logistics staff officer, International Programs Directorate, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
5. December 1983 - March 1987, Program Manager, Peace Remo II, Materiel Management Directorate, Sacramento ALC, McClellan AFB, Calif.
6. March 1987 - June 1988, Deputy Chief, A-10 System Program Management Division, Materiel Management Directorate, Sacramento ALC, McClellan AFB, Calif.
7. June 1988 - October 1990, Deputy Chief, Resources Management Division, Maintenance Directorate, Sacramento ALC, McClellan AFB, Calif.
8. October 1990 - July 1993, Associate Director, Commodities Management Directorate, later, Associate Director, Aircraft Management Directorate, Sacramento ALC, McClellan AFB, Calif.
9. July 1993 - March 1994, Director, Commodities Management Directorate, Oklahoma City ALC, Tinker AFB, Okla.
10. March 1994 - September 1998, Comptroller, Oklahoma City ALC, Tinker AFB, Okla.
11. September 1998 - June 2000, Director of Logistics Management, Oklahoma City ALC, Tinker AFB, Okla.
12. June 2000 - August 2004, Executive Director, Oklahoma City ALC, Tinker AFB, Okla.
13. August 2004 - present, Executive Director, Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
AWARDS AND HONORS
1978 General Edwin W. Rawlings Award, AFIT
1978 Ivan B. Thompson Award, AFIT
1990 Logistics Executive Management Award, Air Force Association
1993 Meritorious Civilian Service Award
2001 Meritorious Executive Presidential Rank Award
Acquisition Logistics, Program Management and Financial Management, Level III