Roger M. Blanchard, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is assistant deputy chief of staff for personnel, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C. He serves as principal assistant to the Air Force deputy chief of staff for personnel. He is responsible for comprehensive plans and policies covering all life cycles of military and civilian personnel management, including military and civilian end strength management, education and training, and compensation and resource allocation.
In previous positions, Blanchard was executive director of the Air Force Personnel Center, Randolph Air Force Base. He was principal assistant to the center's commander where he helped to execute Air Force military and civilian personnel plans and policies. He has served as director of civilian personnel policy and personnel plans, Deputy Chief of Staff for Personnel, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C. As director, he planned, developed and administered personnel policies and programs for all appropriated fund civilian employees. Other duties included military and civilian long-range personnel planning, military and civilian human resource development, and equal employment opportunity throughout the Department of the Air Force.
Blanchard was chief of the Resources Division, Deputy Chief of Staff for Personnel and was responsible for overall planning, programming and budgeting actions for the Air Force military and civilian personnel work force worldwide. He has also served as deputy director of civilian personnel for plans and requirements and for personnel management. A career Air Force employee, Blanchard has held diverse positions in the personnel arena at all base, major command and headquarters levels, including duty as the civilian personnel officer for the Air Force District of Washington. In this position he provided personnel services to the Air Staff and the Secretariat. Blanchard is a guest speaker at numerous Air Force and other personnel forums, including Air University at Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala. He assumed his current position January 1997.
1972 Bachelor of arts degree in history, Louisiana State University
1986 Master of public administration degree, George Washington University
1986 Industrial College of the Armed Forces, National Defense University
1988 Senior Executive Fellows Program, John F. Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.
1. September 1973 - March 1974, personnel management intern, Kelly Air Force Base, Texas
2. April 1974 - July 1979, personnel management specialist, Keesler Air Force Base, Miss.
3. July 1979 - April 1983, command personnel management specialist, Randolph Air Force Base, Texas
4. April 1983 - August 1985, Air Staff personnel management specialist, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
5. August 1985 - July 1986, student, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Washington, D.C.
6. July 1986 - February 1988, chief, Workforce Appeals and Relations Division, Deputy Chief of Staff for Personnel, Washington, D.C.
7. February 1988 - February 1990, civilian personnel officer, Air Force District of Washington, Washington, D.C.
8. February 1990 - December 1990, chief, Programs Division, Deputy Chief of Staff for Personnel, Washington, D.C.
9. December 1990 - August 1993, deputy director of civilian personnel for plans and requirements, and later, deputy director of civilian personnel for personnel management, Deputy Chief of Staff for Personnel, Washington, D.C.
10. August 1993 - October 1994, chief, Resources Division, Deputy Chief of Staff for Personnel, Washington, D.C.
11. October 1994 - September 1995, director, civilian personnel policy and plans, Deputy Chief of Staff for Personnel, Washington, D.C.
12. September 1995 - January 1997, executive director, Air Force Personnel Center, Randolph Air Force Base, Texas
13. January 1997 - present, assistant deputy chief of staff for personnel, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
AWARDS AND HONORS
Air Force Meritorious Civilian Service Award (3)
Presidential Meritorious Executive Rank Award (2)
1998 Presidential Distinguished Executive Rank Award
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
Air Force Association
Senior Executives Association