Retiring effective Aug. 1, 2005.
Shirley C. Williams, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is Deputy Director, Personnel Policy, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C. As the Deputy Director, Ms. Williams establishes Air Force personnel policies for more than 525,000 active-duty and civilian personnel. This includes developing policies involving compensation, benefits, legislation, recognition, assignments, promotions, evaluations, separations and retirements. In addition, Ms. Williams is responsible for all aspects of total force management, including family matters, equal opportunity, quality of life initiatives, labor relations, and rated force management.
Ms. Williams has held various assignments at the Air Staff, major command and base levels. Overseas duties included the position of Chief of Affirmative Employment at Royal Air Force Upper Heyford, England, and personnel management specialist with Headquarters U.S. Air Forces in Europe at Ramstein Air Base, West Germany. Prior to her assignment at the Pentagon, Ms. Williams served as Chief of Personnel Force Management with the Directorate of Personnel at Headquarters Air Mobility Command. In this position, she provided major command direction and policy for more than 100 personnel programs supporting AMC operations at 147 worldwide locations.
In 1997, Ms. Williams began work at Air Force headquarters as Chief of the Plans and Requirements Division with the Directorate of Personnel. Her duties were to develop and implement policy for strategic planning, for managing the civilian force, and for managing the civilian and military personnel offices. Ms. Williams also has held the positions of Civilian Personnel Officer at Kirtland AFB, N.M., and as Assistant CPO at Norton AFB, Calif.
1974 Bachelor of Arts degree in sociology and psychology, University of Alaska, Anchorage
1985 and 1996 Department of Defense Executive Leadership Course, Washington, D.C.
1989 Master of Business Administration degree, Marymount University, Arlington, Va.
1999 Federal Executive Institute, Charlottesville, Va.
1. July 1974 - September 1977, personnel staffing specialist, Elmendorf AFB, Alaska
2. September 1977 - March 1979, personnel management specialist, Headquarters USAFE, Ramstein AB, West Germany
3. March 1979 - April 1980, Chief of Employee and Labor Relations, George AFB, Calif.
4. April 1980 - July 1982, Chief of Affirmative Employment, RAF Upper Heyford, England
5. July 1982 - June 1983, personnel staffing specialist, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
6. June 1983 - April 1986, supervisory personnel staffing specialist, later, Assistant Civilian Personnel Officer, Norton AFB, Calif.
7. April 1986 - June 1987, personnel management specialist, Air Force Senior Executive Office, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
8. June 1987 - January 1989, personnel management specialist, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
9. January 1989 - September 1996, Chief, Litigation Branch, later, Civilian Personnel Officer, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
10. September 1996 - June 1998, Chief, Civilian Policy Division, later, Chief, Plans and Requirements Division, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
11. June 1998 - April 2000, Chief, Civilian Personnel Division, later, Chief, Personnel Force Management Division, Directorate of Personnel, Headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
12. March 1999 - April 2000, Chief, Personnel Force Management Division, Directorate of Personnel, Headquarters AMC, Scott AFB, Ill.
13. April 2000 - August 2002, Director, Palace Compass Program Management Office, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
14. August 2002 - present, Deputy Director, Personnel Policy, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
AWARDS AND HONORS
1975, 1980 and 1984 Sustained Superior Performance Award
1982 Outstanding Intermediate Program Manager, Headquarters USAFE
1986 PMRS performance awards
1988 - 1994 PMRS performance awards
1990 Special Act or Service Award
1990 and 1992 Outstanding Civilian Personnel Officer, Military Airlift Command
1995 and 1996 Exemplary Civilian Service Award
1995 - 1997 Performance awards
1998 Meritorious Civilian Service Award
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
International Personnel Management Association
Air Force Association Civilian Advisory Council