Steven A. Shaw, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is Deputy General Counsel for Contractor Responsibility, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C. Mr. Shaw is the Air Force debarment and suspension official. He also manages the Air Force's Coordination of Fraud Remedies Program.
Mr. Shaw received his law degree from the Washington College of Law, American University, and his undergraduate degree in government from Franklin & Marshall College.
Prior to his current appointment, Mr. Shaw was a partner in the Washington, D.C. office of Howrey & Simon, a national law firm, and a partner in Weil, Gotshal & Manges, an international law firm. Mr. Shaw engaged in a diverse litigation practice, specializing in civil fraud and white-collar criminal litigation.
Mr. Shaw has also served as Chief, Criminal Division, Office of the U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of Texas, Houston; as Senior Trial Attorney, Public Integrity Section, U.S. Department of Justice, where he prosecuted political corruption cases; as Deputy Director, Enforcement Division, Federal Energy Regulatory Commission; and as assistant state's attorney, Montgomery County, Md., where he tried more than 300 felony jury trials.
1969 Bachelor of arts degree in government, Franklin & Marshall College
1973 Juris doctorate degree, Washington College of Law, American University
1. 1973 - 1977, assistant state's attorney, Montgomery County, Md.
2. 1977 - 1979, associate, Grossberg, Yochelson, Fox & Beyda, Washington, D.C.
3. 1979 - 1982, Deputy Director, Enforcement Division, Federal Energy Regulatory Commission
4. 1982 - 1985, Senior Trial Attorney, Public Integrity Section, U.S. Department of Justice
5. 1985 - 1987, Chief, Criminal Division, Office of the U.S. Attorney, Southern District of Texas, Houston
6. 1987 - 1991, partner, Weil, Gotshal & Manges, Houston
7. 1991 - 1996, partner, Howrey & Simon, Washington, D.C.
8. 1996 - present, Deputy General Counsel for Contractor Responsibility, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
AWARDS AND HONORS
1982 and 1983 U.S. Department of Justice Special Achievement Award
1984 Director, Federal Bureau of Investigation Commendation
1984 Attorney General's Special Commendation
2000 Exceptional Civilian Service Medal, Secretary of the Air Force
2002 Exemplary Civilian Service Medal
1977 District of Columbia
1989 New York