Thomas S. Wells, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is the Director of Contracting, Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio. In this position he manages AFMC contracting policies, processes, people and technology. The command contracting activity executes nearly half of the Air Force?s total obligation authority to develop, produce and sustain the systems and equipment that assure superior war fighting capabilities for Air Force, joint and allied forces. The command?s contracting workforce procures emerging technologies, major weapon systems, spare and repair parts, installation support, and a wide range of contracted services. Mr. Wells also serves as the AFMC Competition and Commercial Item Advocate.
Mr. Wells began his Air Force career in 1981 as a contract negotiator at Ogden Air Logistics Center, Hill Air Force Base, Utah, where he supported the F-4 and F-16 weapon systems as a buyer of spare and repair parts, and modification and maintenance services. As a graduate of the Copper Cap Intern Program, he completed rotational assignments in a range of functional duties in air logistics. These included positions as procurement analyst, price analyst, item management specialist, financial management specialist, engineering technician and maintenance specialist.
Prior to assuming his current position, Mr. Wells served as Deputy Director of Contracting, Headquarters AFMC. He previously held several contracting positions at Hanscom AFB, Mass., including Director of Contracting for the Electronic Systems Center and contracting officer for the E-8 Joint Surveillance Target Attack Radar System. Mr Wells was appointed to the Senior Executive Service in 1999.
1980 Bachelor of science, University of Massachusetts, Amherst
1988 Master's degree in public administration, Utah State University, Logan
1999 Defense Leadership and Management Program
2000 Federal Executive Institute, Charlottesville, Va.
1. September 1981 - November 1988, contract negotiator, Ogden Air Logistics Center, Hill AFB, Utah
2. November 1988 - June 1990, contracting officer, Directorate of Systems Contracting and Competition Advocacy, Electronic Systems Center, Hanscom AFB, Mass.
3. June 1990 - March 1991, procurement analyst, Acquisition Coordination Team, Electronic Systems Center, Hanscom AFB, Mass.
4. March 1991 - April 1995, contracting officer, Joint STARS Program Office, ESC, Hanscom AFB, Mass.
5. April 1995 - January 1997, Chief of Contract Clearance, Directorate of Contracting, ESC, Hanscom AFB, Mass.
6. January 1997 - November 1997, Chief of Contract Pricing, Directorate of Contracting, ESC, Hanscom AFB, Mass.
7. November 1997 - October 1999, Deputy Director, Directorate of Contracting, ESC, Hanscom AFB, Mass.
8. October 1999 - August 2001, Director, Directorate of Contracting, Electronic Systems Center, Hanscom AFB, Mass.
9. August 2001 - November 2003, Deputy Director of Contracting, Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
10. November 2003 - present, Director of Contracting, Headquarters AFMC, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
AWARDS AND HONORS
1991 Meritorious Civilian Service Award
1999 Meritorious Civilian Service Award
2001 Legion of Merit, Armed Forces Communications and Electronics Association
Certified Federal Contracts Manager, National Contract Management Association
Professional Designation in Contract Management, Air Force Institute of Technology and National Contract Management Association
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
Armed Forces Communications and Electronics Association
National Contract Management Association
Program Management, Level II, Acquisition Professional Development Program
Contracting (Systems Acquisition), Level III, APDP