William A. Davidson, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is the Administrative Assistant to the Secretary of the Air Force, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C. He is the Air Force's senior career civilian adviser to the Secretary. He performs high-level assignments following the Secretary's policies, goals and objectives. He manages and supports administratively the Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, its 1,650-member Secretariat and supported Field Operating Agencies. These include manpower, people, organization, budget, supply and the Secretary's contingency fund; information, personnel and industrial security; security oversight for U.S. treaty issues; special access programs; and antiterrorism. He also establishes policy and oversees worldwide Air Force departmental publishing, the Air Force Declassification Office, the Air Force Art Program Office, and the Air Force Executive Dining Facility. As the senior Air Force security official, Mr. Davidson develops and executes policy for the Air Force Central Adjudication Facility. He provides engineering and executive support to Headquarters U.S. Air Force and co-manages the HAF 2002 Integration Office.
Prior to becoming the Administrative Assistant in 1994, Mr. Davidson was the Deputy Administrative Assistant from 1990 to 1994. He served as an active-duty Air Force officer for more than 22 years, serving as an AFOSI agent and Chief of the Air Force Polygraph Program. At the time of his retirement from active duty, he was the Deputy for Security and Investigative Programs with the Office of the Administrative Assistant. He retired in the rank of colonel and entered the Senior Executive Service in 1990.
1968 Bachelor of Science degree in law enforcement and corrections, Florida State University
1968 U.S. Air Force Special Investigations School, Washington, D.C.
1970 U.S. Army Polygraph School, Fort Gordon, Ga.
1974 Squadron Officer School
1976 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
1978 Master of Science degree in criminal justice, George Washington University, Washington, D.C.
1981 Armed Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
1984 Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1991 Leadership for a Democratic Society, Federal Executive Institute
1992 Bold Stroke Senior Executive Forum on Software Management Technology, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1995 Systems Acquisition Management Course, Defense Systems Management College, Fort Belvoir, Va.
1996 Developing the Strategic Leader, Center for Creative Leadership
1997 National Security Management Course, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Md.
1. 1968 commissioned a second lieutenant through ROTC program; graduated from the Air Force Special Investigations School, Washington, D.C.
2. 1969 - 1971, special investigations and counter-intelligence officer, Air Force Office of Special Investigations District 13, Offutt AFB, Neb.
3. 1971 - 1972, Criminal and Fraud Investigation Supervisor, Air Force Office of Special Investigations District 45, Tan Son Nhut Air Base, South Vietnam
4. 1972 - 1974, Detachment Commander, Air Force Office of Special Investigations District 712, Robins AFB, Ga.
5. 1974 - 1980, Chief, Air Force Polygraph Program, Headquarters Air Force Office of Special Investigations, Bolling AFB, Washington, D.C.
6. 1981 - 1983, Deputy Commander for Operations, Air Force Office of Special Investigations District 45, South Korea
7. 1983 - 1986, Assistant for Plans and Programs, Office of the Administrative Assistant, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
8. 1986 - 1988, Military Assistant, Office of the Administrative Assistant, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
9. 1988 - 1990, Deputy for Security and Investigative Programs, Office of the Administrative Assistant, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
10. 1990 - 1994, Deputy Administrative Assistant, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
11. 1994 - present, Administrative Assistant to the Secretary of the Air Force, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
AWARDS AND HONORS
Legion of Merit
Bronze Star Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Exceptional Civilian Award
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award with oak leaf cluster
National Defense Service Medal
Vietnam Service Medal with three service stars
Air Force Overseas Ribbon -Short
Air Force Overseas Ribbon-Long
Air Force Longevity Service Award Ribbon with four oak leaf clusters
Exceptional Civilian Service Award
Senior Executive Service Meritorious Service Award
Senior Executive Service Bonus Award
2000 Presidential Distinguished Executive Rank Award
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
Board of directors, Washington Chapter, National Defense Industrial Association
Air Force Association
International Association of Chiefs of Police
American Society of Industrial Security
Former vice-president, American Polygraph Association
Senior Executive Service
Air Force Council
Air Force Communication Council
Executive Resources Board
Defense Leadership and Management Program
Pentagon Security Advisory Group
Department of Defense Concessions Committee
Chair, Executive Oversight Board
Chair, Financial Oversight Working Group
Chair, Air Force Security Advisory Group
Co-chair, Computer-Communications Systems Board
Co-chair, Work Force Diversity Group